Help! My discus are looking weird, and I think they are sick! HELP!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
What are those white blobs floting in/on the water? Particularly noticeable in the 5th pic from the bottom. Looks like the same color as the gunk on the fish....and why do you describe the affliction as "flukes"?

actually what we need is mel_20_20 to drop by. She is the premier diagnostician in the group....I have no idea what that gunk might be and if it weren't for the fishes' odd behavior (gulping air etc) I would say "don't just do something, stand there." ie, water changes, make sure parameters are perfect, and let them get over it on their own. Which is what they (and most of us) do anyway.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
What are those white blobs floting in/on the water? Particularly noticeable in the 5th pic from the bottom. Looks like the same color as the gunk on the fish....and why do you describe the affliction as "flukes"?

actually what we need is mel_20_20 to drop by. She is the premier diagnostician in the group....I have no idea what that gunk might be and if it weren't for the fishes' odd behavior (gulping air etc) I would say "don't just do something, stand there." ie, water changes, make sure parameters are perfect, and let them get over it on their own. Which is what they (and most of us) do anyway.
sorry, my auto feeder had just fed bloodworms, and they look white under the really bright light.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
I pm'd mel_20_20 to see if she could help me out:)

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I agree with sara....they may just be stressed. They slough their slime coats. I would do big water changes...discus love them. Discus people sometimes do 90% water changes daily for juvies. I would drop an extra airstone if you have it. Watch for a while. I don't like to use meds unless I am confident I know what I am treating. The meds are VERY hard them. I would definitely add some salt as it is good for their slime coat. 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons...when you get them in the Q-T.

The symptoms described in the above article could also describe anything else that bugs a discus. Most of the "discus plaque" incidents I have read about on Simplydiscus are diagnosed AFTER it runs rampant through a fish room. Mainly because the symptoms are general.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Okay, you guys are raising my hopes:)

I skipped the 29G as I am going to sell my 3 adult angels in the 72G, put the breeding pair in there temporarily, and put the discus in the now empty 20 Gallon Breeding TANK!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

alan j t

AC Members
Nov 5, 2006
Reno NV
Real Name
alan
time to use PP. i cant spell it. (its something likie potassium poermagant).
i had a similar issue with my discus. i lost half my stock. i used quick cure. walamrt sells em. a little bottle.

alan j t

AC Members
Nov 5, 2006
Reno NV
Real Name
alan
change water in the day and at night 50 % at a time and rep;lace meds you took out from the ridiculous waterchanges. use plenty of airstones too. no light on top of the tank. just the room light.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store