Help! Need info and tips about keeping these fish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Dude. You just need to read. All of these questions could be answered by reading threads on this and many other forums, as well as even just looking through a Dr. Foster's and Smith catalog, or viewing their website.

jmarino

AC Members
Mar 25, 2007
not the skimmer stuff

jmarino

AC Members
Mar 25, 2007
ok :angel: lol

Michael Marino

SALT WATER FOR LIFE
Mar 5, 2006
Long Island, New York
Read and find my freind, that is the beauty of the internet. Maybe start off with wikipedia.net to find a broad array of questions and then ask something still un answered instead of using up forum space :) Also visit your LFS for advice and price estimates.

Germanman

My fish are my babies
Read and find my freind, that is the beauty of the internet. Maybe start off with wikipedia.net to find a broad array of questions and then ask something still un answered instead of using up forum space :) Also visit your LFS for advice and price estimates.
i agree that reasearch is the best way to go but dont ever feel pressured not to ask questions. maybe start a new thread for each though. and careful with Wiki its not always correct, but general ideas are usually fine.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
for the record, "bubbler things" do not do much of anything and don't really have a place in a marine tank (except to drive certian types of supplemental filtration). your whisper filter is also completely uneccessary, but can be used to create a flow in the tank. the basic equipment you MUST have for your marine tank are a powerhead, strong lighting of at least 3-8 WPG depending on the corals you want, and a protein skimmer.

also, FTR most reef fish are aggressive to some extent, as in a coral reef they claim a spot on the reef for themselves and defend it from those who try to invade it. some good common fish that are realtively peaceful are clownfish (they do not need an anemone at all and many don't even know how to use one if they're tank bred) psudochromis, gobies, firefish, most blennies, and some types of dwarf angelfish. be VERY sure to thoroughly reseach any fish you plan on keeping, as most marine fish need special care and even clownfish will need a good knowlegde base on your part for you to successfully care for them.

some good inverts would be most kinds of snails and shrimp, some crabs (be VERY careful to make sure the crab you want is not one that will eat corals/fish!). as for corals, mushroom corals,leather corals, and most colony polyps are good for begginers and need only about 3 WPG (which would mean you need to have at least 90 watts of light over your tank.)

jmarino

AC Members
Mar 25, 2007
My whisper filter can be used for flows? would an anemone be able to live with that type of flow? And what are the other things that make flows?

jmarino

AC Members
Mar 25, 2007
And whats a power head?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store