Help! Need info and tips about keeping these fish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jmarino

AC Members
Mar 25, 2007
thanks

jmarino

AC Members
Mar 25, 2007
but WHAT are they and what do they do???

jmarino

AC Members
Mar 25, 2007
And what is their price range?

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Sigh.

Did you even look at the link?

The first link is to a page selling powerheads of different sizes and prices.

Michael Marino

SALT WATER FOR LIFE
Mar 5, 2006
Long Island, New York
Material list
SOME TIMES I FORGET TO SAY THAT YOU MUST USE INSTANT OCEAN BRAND SALT. I LEARNED THIS SO LONG AGO, AND SO MANY TIMES, THAT I THINK EVERY ONE JUST DOES IT. YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE THE BEST RESULTS WITH INSTANT OCEAN.
1) 55 gallon show aquarium 48" long
2) 1-Visi-jet protein skimmer
3) 2-Maxi-jet power heads (1000)
4) 1- heater
5) 2-4 ft 40 watt "Triton" bulbs with end caps
6) 1-4 ft 40 watt "Blue moon" bulbs with end caps
7) ballast for 3 40 watt bulbs
8) 1-"Triton" enhancer light cover
9) 40 lbs. seeded live rock
10) 80 lbs. Aragonite base rock
11) 50 Mixed snails and 32 Mexican red legged hermit crabs
12) base rock for attaching research invertebrates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I set up the 55 gallon reef tank by placing the protein skimmer in the back corner. I use the dry base rock to construct a loosely spaced stack that allows water to circulate. I operate the skimmer with the flow adjustment open to the highest flow. This high flow rate allows the skimmer to produce a profusion of small air bubbles. During the fist several weeks of operation I keep the air valve open all the way. Direct the extra bubbles along the back of the rock pile.

After the tank is stocked with corals I remove the bottom deflector so that any excess bubbles rise up the out side of the skimmer tube. I believe this extra aeration is beneficial to the system. I have had no problems with the extra air in any of systems I am running.

The "Maxi-jet" power heads are used to create a flow across the front of the tank. I do not fix one of the power heads in any one position because moving it around creates different currents in the tank. I have found that by turning the power head slightly each time I observe the tank I can create flow patterns that keep the detritris from clogging the live rocks. I have observed polyps feeding on the debris from these "mini-storms". It does not require much movement from the power head to create a large change in current in the reef tank. This change in current is very easy to observe in the long tentacle type corals.

When first establishing these reef tanks, after adding the 40 lbs of seeded live rock, I do not feed the system at all for the first two months. Place the Triton and Blue Moon lights on the tank and cover them with a Triton Enhancer. Leave the lights on for 14 hours a day. I have found that each tank goes thru a definite series of blooms. During the first month you can expect the entire tank to turn brown. This brown bloom is made up of diatoms. This is the time when to 50 mixed snails first earn their keep.

During this phase you may have to empty the skimmer cup each day. If the waste material seems watery or clear simply move the skimmer up in the tank by sliding the suction cups up. You can learn to control the skimmer by watching the red band that holds the powerhead in place. If the red band is below the water line the skimmer will remove more water. If the red band is above the water line the skimmer will remove a darker liquid.

The only maintenance that is need on these skimmers is a simple vinegar bath if the amount of foam starts to decrease. When we notice the skimmer is slowing down we simply remove the power head and run it in a pint of warm - NOT HOT - white vinegar for an hour. After a short rinse in fresh water the skimmer is ready for several more weeks of use.

THESE ARE THE BEST THINGS TO ADD TO YOUR TANK EACH WEEK

SeaChem Reef +
SeaChem Reef Complete
SeaChem Reef Calcium
THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO TREAT YOUR MAKE UP WATER
Only fresh water needs to be added to tank as water level goes down. The salt will stay in your tank.
Use 1 tablespoon of Pickeling Lime per 2 gallons of fresh water.
Repeat this three times when you add fresh water. Use SeaChem Reef Builder the forth time you add fresh water.
Start over and use the lime three more times before you add the SeaChem Reef builder again.
WATER CHANGES
Change 5 gallons each month to replace minerals . The more water you change the better the reef will do.

Michael Marino

SALT WATER FOR LIFE
Mar 5, 2006
Long Island, New York
Maxi Jet 1000 Power Head

This is a multi-use submersible pump, ideal for powering undergravel filters and creating water movement. Silent motor protected against overheating. High output with low power consumption. It has a fully sealed impeller chamber, triple suction mount, adjustable hook with cable guide. Can be used with both fish and invertebrates. Max flow rate 291 gph.

Specifications:
This item is UL listed, uses 20 watts, 120 volts, max flow rate: 291 gph, max head height: 69", power cord is 6'.

Size:
2"L x 2"W x 2 1/2"H

Warranty:
Two year warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.

Availability: Usually ships in 2-3 business days.

198202$17.99

jmarino

AC Members
Mar 25, 2007
i looked at the link. i just couldnt find what i was looking for...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store