Help! Need info and tips about keeping these fish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jmarino

AC Members
Mar 25, 2007
Whats a refugium and is it something that i need? if so, what does it do?

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
a refugium is either a section in a sump or a hang on the back type that usually contains a deep sand bed, live rock rubble and macro algae..The live rock and sand bed act as additional filtration for the display tank and the macro algae is there to out-compete any algae in the display tank for nitrates and phosphates which keep algae in the display tank ( hopefully ) near nothing...

Refugium ( fuge ) is not a "got to have" thing, its just an added bonus to the system and helps out loads in tank maintenance if your system is a reef...

Niko

jmarino

AC Members
Mar 25, 2007
oh, ok. thanks for the post. but do anemones need a current in the tank? and if so, does my 30 whisper filter make that current?

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
yes, everything needs current, of varying levels in a marine tank..how much will depend on the type of nem that you get after about a year of the tank maturing some what....

Niko

jmarino

AC Members
Mar 25, 2007
Does my filter make a current though? enough for a long tentacle nem?

Michael Marino

SALT WATER FOR LIFE
Mar 5, 2006
Long Island, New York
German Man is correct. I whould strongly suggest ( even if a cheap one) a protine skimmer and definatly a power head. From what I understand , not to discurage you, have a lot of reading to do. This is a beautiful site for this. Before posting make sure it is an unaswered question as well ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store