Help, problem with new sand!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
I decided to change out my small gravel for sand in a 10 gallon that I'm going to use as a starter tank for cory cats. I took out the gravel early this morning and started rinsing through some sand and adding it to the tank. Then I got impatient and decided that the filter will clear the water and I added the rest of the sand. And now the water is cloudy...since this morning! I changed some water, added microbe lift an hour ago and still cloudy. Not that microbe lift would help that but I figured it couldn't hurt. I have a Whisper ex20 hob and I put a sponge filter in there a little while ago, still cloudy. Anyone have a problem like this? Should I just change out all the water? Had the tank running for about a month now cycling.

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
Recently setup a new aquarium with sand.

Rinsed sand like 10 times. Then left it soaking overnight in a bucket. When I added it to the aquarium the next day the aquarium started of being very cloudy. I'm now one week into the setup. I've been combing the sand daily and making daily water changes as it kept getting very cloudy still.

Anyway, looks like my daily hardwork has paid off as it's so much more less clouded yesterday eventhough I combed the sand yesterday.

Btw, I've had filter running all the while upon setup of the aquarium with sand. There has been some suggestion that it might damage the motor especially when you comb the sand but I just used a cheap one so couldnt be bothered as to what happens.

Anyways, it worked for me, so you've got some work ahead of u.

teigan666

AC Members
Sep 26, 2010
Peterborough Ontairo
Real Name
Teigan
um i went with sand in my cichlid tank and you should empty about 3/4s of the water out take the filter off put the sand in let it sit fot about 20 mins then put a plate or something in and pour the rest of the water in and start your filter the water should clear up by it self in about 2 hrs or less

Inglorious

AC Members
Aug 26, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
What kind of sand are you using. Playsand and sandblasting sand are usually much dustier than pool filter sand. Either way you'll just need to be patient and keep up with your water changes.

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
I used caribsea super naturals, I was going to get pfs but I didn't want to buy a 50lb bag right now, no where to keep it. I used it in my other tank, washed it off and it was fine. This sand is a very fine grain, almost silky. I figured it would be good for the cory's. It looks like I'll have to put them in the big tank for a week or so, I hate to do that to them. Well off to do another water change and I'll comb the sand too. Thanks everyone, you've been really helpfull. I should have just kept washing and adding instead of just dumping!

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
I vote with the "shut off the filter" crowd. Even it it's an old junky one, why ruin any working equipment to no purpose? It's accomplishing nothing, no point in letting it die in vain. :)

You're basically back to rinsing sand, just doing it in the tank instead of the bucket. I sure hope you have a python or similar device, or are young and fit. Much water hauling lies ahead. I was crippled up for days after I, um, did the same thing as you, which is to say, got impatient.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store