Help Sick Goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ReefRaft

Respect My AUTHORITY!
Apr 18, 2006
i have a brand new 20 gallon filter...i forget the brand name but thats the only size it comes in but it creates a big current.. and all i was doing was getting some bacteria from the back of the filter cartrige so as to help the new basteria along....

Malefic23

AC Members
Nov 7, 2006
Charlotte NC
Turn off the light, that tends to heat the water up a bit, plus if it's in direct sunlight, shading your tank might help. I find taking a soda bottle, washing it out, filling it 3/4 full, then freezing it is a usefull way to drop tank temps.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Turn off the light, that tends to heat the water up a bit, plus if it's in direct sunlight, shading your tank might help. I find taking a soda bottle, washing it out, filling it 3/4 full, then freezing it is a usefull way to drop tank temps.
in addition, gettiung a small fan to blow angularly over the waters surface helps cool the tank, and also helps add more oxygen to the water by causing greater amounts of surface exchange to occur. however, IMHO goldfish can take waters of that heat level pretty well as long as its not for extended periods of time (E.G. all year long) without much ill effect, I still say it may be dying from old age, but it would still be a good idea to try the cooling methods previously mentioned and see if theres an improvement in its condition.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Eh... I'm going to have to disagree with everyone here about the temperature. Goldfish, like koi, can thrive at higher temps as well as lower temps.
At 65-73 degrees, their immune system is strong. Their metabolism slows down, therefore they need less food and will produce less waste. Their lifespan may be longer than at higher temperatures, but that's still a matter of debate. If you have the option, keeping them at low temperatures is a nice low-maintenance (relatively speaking) situation.
Between 73 and 78, goldfish have the weakest immune system response. This is the temperature range at which they are the most likely to develop an illness. However, they will be more active, feed more, and produce more waste. If you keep them in this range of temps, be careful about introducing new plants and always quarantine new fish. Make sure to keep up with water changes and filter maintenance.
Above 73, up to about 83, they will have a strong immune system response, and they will be very active, but require much more food and produce the most waste. They will grow very quickly. Therefore at high temperatures it is critical to pay close attention to the water parameters, especially ammonia, and keep the tank in optimum condition.

Fancy goldfish seem to do best in the higher ranges. I see no problem with keeping this little fish in a warm tank.

Fishcatch22, I strongly disagree that goldfish kept in the 80s will be listless and sick. My five have been kept in the 70s and 80s since they were only weeks old. All are now over 11 inches long, healthy and glowing, eating like pigs, playing in the filter outlet, swimming actively. As I said, higher temps will cause more activity, not less, as their metabolism increases. Which is why at higher temperatures they produce large amounts of waste.

However, I do agree the fish is most likely stunted. We still need more information.

• What is the pH of the tank? A pH jump or drop could definitely cause illness.
  • How often do you change the water? Ammonia and even low-level nitrites can sicken a fish.
  • Do you treat the tap water before adding it to the tank? A low dose of chlorine might not kill the goldfish, but would definitely make it sick.
  • What else is in the tank? If you have added new gravel, new decorations, etc, recently they might not be fish-safe and could be poisoning the little fish.
  • What do you mean you "clean" the filter? Is it the type of filter that hangs on the back of the tank? This type of filter is difficult to keep a healthy bacteria colony living in. Before changing the media cartridge, float a fresh cartridge in the tank for a few days. This will help the bacteria to transfer to the new cartridge. If you have just changed the cartridge completely, it doesn't matter if you "scraped the bacteria" onto the new cartridge. Most of that is just fish waste, not bacteria. You may have started an entirely new cycle.

I don't mean to sound harsh, reefraft, but diagnosing an illness in an already stunted fish can be difficult. If you can provide more information, it will help. Then we can get you on the right track to providing the best home for your fish and helping it live the longest life possible.

Buckdog

Comet with an attitude problem.
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. Inland
:iagree:
He's got it. My 120G has been sitting at 82 degrees all summer. I did have to cool it down a bit when the outside temps here hit 111 degrees and the tank temp started to rise.

I was told by a koi shop owner that 82 degrees is when th O2 levels start to drop significantly so it is very important to keep the oxygen levels high. I lowered the water level slightly so there was more surface splash from the return line.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
:thumbsup: Definitely good advice. That's the one thing I left out - since cooler water can hold more dissolved oxygen, and warmer water holds less, when you have a tank at high temps it's very important to increase aeration. Specifically disturbance at the surface, to facilitate gas exchange.

If they're oxygen-starved, you'll notice them mouthing and gulping at the surface. Thanks buckdog for mentioning that!

Buckdog

Comet with an attitude problem.
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. Inland
No problem.
Hang in there Reefraft, you'll get it.

ReefRaft

Respect My AUTHORITY!
Apr 18, 2006
he looks just a little better but is there any way that if i move him to a bigger tank that he'll be better....and the water is being aereated fine...i do let the water sit a little lower than the overflow so more water is being aerated and i have a litttle air pump.... no new plants or fish..ect the only new thing is the filter and thats right around the time it happened...and if it was stunting wouldn't have like not hit so strong and kinda started wearing it out a long time ago?? because it hit kinda of suddenly...nitrates are at ten ppm im doing a water change as we (i) speak and im keeping the lights off...if u need any other info just ask.( he is also eating fine)

ReefRaft

Respect My AUTHORITY!
Apr 18, 2006
I also forgot to mention that because ive had goldfish die from bloat i always soak its food in tank water for 1 min then pour it in....idk if that will help but mabye...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store