Help Sick Goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Buckdog

Comet with an attitude problem.
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. Inland
Sounds like you're doing a lot better. I'm sure folks on this forum will give you finer pointers for your setup.

I have a 120G and I only have four golds in it. I caught a lot of hell from my niece because it was such a big tank with four little fish. She was like, "All that water for four fish?" But they are growing and I expect they will be fairly big in a year or two.

My main mix is Hikari Staple with a little Hikari Gold mixed in. I intentionally crunch my pellets down to about half size and shake out the dust. This way the food doesnt float and the fish chases it as it goes down. I also use a small dish to scoop up some tank water and add the food to it. I too let it sit for about a minute and dump it in.

Good luck.

reneeg

AC Members
Jun 10, 2006
california
Thanks dangerdoll I was wondering the same thing about tank size. I've found that my goldies thrive on having the extra aeration provided by a bubbler. I have a bubble wall and they love to frolic in the bubbles. Bubbles, partial water changes, powerful filter, as well as skinned peas as a weekly treat seem to be a good recipe to goldie success!

ReefRaft

Respect My AUTHORITY!
Apr 18, 2006
Sry DD um its in a ten but if it would help save its life i would quickly split to the pet store and buy it a 29g. um and i do all of those things mentioned in the last post....:)

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Sry DD um its in a ten but if it would help save its life i would quickly split to the pet store and buy it a 29g. um and i do all of those things mentioned in the last post....:)
if it is already really sick the new tank may not save its live, but it will give it a better shot. a 29g is generally accepted as the minimum size for a fancy goldfish/

riddle4sphinx

AC Members
Jul 19, 2006
Illinois
Ok so just a thought for you..... since you do still have nitrates registering, a 29 gallon would probably help those disapear and if your goldie is stressed from that, it will help. Otherwise, I dont think you ever clarifyed how often you do water changes? It might not hurt to change like 15% of the water every three days instead of doing like 25% once a week.... he'll be constantly getting some freshwater then.

ReefRaft

Respect My AUTHORITY!
Apr 18, 2006
shouldn't the nitrates be showing a little bit...i thought it was the nitrites that wern't supposed to be showing....

beefsteak

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
California, USA
You're right, you're nitrates are fine at only 10ppm. Are you still registering ammonia and if so what kind of test kit are you using? It seems odd that you're fish would have gotten stunted at this point in a 10 gallon. I definitely would think a three inch goldfish would grow a bit more than that in a 10g before stunting would occur. Did you have it in something smaller before the 10 gallon?

riddle4sphinx

AC Members
Jul 19, 2006
Illinois
My appologies..... i'm not sure what number I saw, but I thought it was definitely higher than 10 for nitrates.... scratch what I said before, you're fine with those.

ReefRaft

Respect My AUTHORITY!
Apr 18, 2006
I definitely would think a three inch goldfish would grow a bit more than that in a 10g before stunting would occur. Did you have it in something smaller before the 10 gallon?

I know but know the goldfish has been in that for all of her life...except for a bowl for like 3 days while i got the tank all ready...(i was inexperienced!) lol but anyway she hasn't gotten any worse/ better..my mom bought some medicine for lethargic fish or something called Clout. I havn't used any yet just to make sure it was harmless to it. um the ingredients are...well nvm a lot of big words that would take hours :) but if you know something to be harmful or this stuff to be harmful notice would be great :) Thanks in advance

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store