help with mono aggresion

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Karnaaj

AC Members
Jan 7, 2005
Cincinnati, Oh
and what is with the schooling fish thing.... Just because they are schooling fish doesn't mean they won't do just fine alone as long as kept in a proper tank.... How many people out there keep schooling fish in groups of 5 or more? Not many...only serious fish freeks like yourself with a big tank. My mono has done quite well on his own except for a 10 day straight fight with a scat that had to be removed
I believe that most people who keep schooling fish singly or in pairs or trios do so out of ignorance, rather than from a belief that the fish do just as well as if they were in a true school. You come from a point of view that says "make the fish fit my tank" rather than the more proper view of "make the tank fit my fish". Will a schooling fish survive as a loner? He might. Will he live as long of a life? Doubt it. Will he display normal behavior and his best colors? I don't think so.

Its not just "serious fish freeks" that keep schooling fish the way they were meant to be kept, but includes anybody who is willing to put the welfare of their fish ahead of their own selfish wants.

Last edited:

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
We the keepers of life have a duty to provide the means of giving as much a natural existence as that would be found in nature. If this cannot be done then that should be a clue that it is out of your reach to have.

I believe and strive to accomplish this for the fish that I keep.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Vinhdeezel-Welcome to Aquaria Central! You will find wealths of info here and a ton of good info. I agree with all that has been said (cdawson,olaf,RTR,Karnnaj,TKOS). With Monos especially you can't strive for the minimum. I sadly lost 3 of my juvie Mono Sebaes a few weeks ago and am now left with 2 in a 55g (the 3 died from a massive ich outbreak caused by adding a small Trigg-Asassi-they are in saltwater- to the tank and he flipped out freaking out all the other fish-I thought I was going to loose the 2 I still have now but they survived) and they have now established the dominant/recessive pecking order. One mono lives in the front and the other lives in the back of the tank. I have tried looking everywhere for new Mono Sebae's. I have been online, been all over Colorado looking for them and to no avail. I know in time the dominant will try and kill the submissive but for now I ensure the submissive gets as much food as the dominant and now that they have established their pecking order the dominant doesn't try to exert his dominance too often. Anyway, I am telling you this because they REALLY need to be kept in large schools. When I had 5 they would swim back and forth in the front of the tank in a school. It was so cute to watch. Now there is no more school and I can tell they don't like it. Definitely try to keep as many individuals as possible in the largest tank possible. Once mine outgrow their juvie size they are being moved to a 209g tank that is 7x2x2. Anyway, hope this helps and good luck and welcome to AC!

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
olaf said:
Larger tank, more Monos. This is the solution!
Indeed Olaf! *high fives* :D

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
Hey I found a beauty of a tank. I would love to have. But I am already pushing the weight limit of my second floor apartment.
Aquabid has a tank 144" x 48" x 48", 1,436 gallon.
Water alone would weigh 12,206 lbs.
But a school of Argentine and Sebae Monos would love it. That would hold 28 full grown fish.

Some day... dreaming, dreaming, dreaming... O here are my Cheerios! :)

Pufferpunk here are some Sebae Monos
Sebae Monos
Brackish Water Fish

14-Day Arrive Alive, Stay Alive Guarantee
Your order is guaranteed to arrive alive & stay alive for a full 14 days from the day of shipping.

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
OLAF YOU MUST GET THAT TANK!!! I can support by send like 50 cents in PayPal, if that'd do anything.

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
HAHAHA!!! Thanks, but something like that won't even fit through the door.
I would only need another 10,000 people to send me $.50 and I could get it.
:p
Right now my biggest deal is finding a job.
I'm what you would call a starving graphic designer.

There is very little business where I live and there is a fortune 500 company keeping businesses from moving in to keep the local wage down and to keep some of their top employees.
This girl I know has a managers position and she has been with this company for 7 years and she said that she is making great money. "$35,000 a year". O MY GOD Wake up girl! You are getting ripped off!

But the good side of this is I have a house by the Lake and I can see it, plus I am right down town.

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
Pssh, Olaf. Think OUTSIDE the box. You could make the thing a terrarium and live with your fish, duh. :D Anyways, simply drink this magic potion *hands potion to olaf*, then meet Alice and then your door should be like 10,000 ft wide.

I do feel your pain about not being able to get that tank. But I wouldn't worry about where to put it, I worry about the WATER CHANGES. 50% a week.... *shivers*

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store