help with mono aggresion

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TorturedSOUL

AC Members
Apr 3, 2005
Hi I'm new and I have a couple of mono questions.

1) Is there a way to tell the sex of the fish? I have 2 (forget their scientific name) but they have yellow fins. 1 of them has more obvious little fins on it's stomach...I think of them as boobs)

2) How big do they get? Are we talking silver dollar size?

3) Have any of you successfully raised monos in freshwater? My LFS has them in freshwater, I brought them home and they are doing "just fine".

I wanted to get about 3 more to make a little school, but after reading this thread I'm nervous. I have a 55 gallon long tank with a tyre track, and fire eel, a bronze puffer and a couple of danios.

Thanks,
TS

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
Monos are NOT fw and will not live long in it. They're actually SW fish, and will not survive to adulthood unless slowly raised to at least high end BW.

Second monos have not been bred in captivity despite what some may claim.

Monos get about 8" and are very active, they require a school of 5 or more and need at least 150-200 gallons.

So , no you can't keep them in your 55.

BTW You're probably not going to have your danios much longer with that bronze puffer being in there.

The ones you have are Mono argentus, they will definately need SW as they get older. If you can't provide them with the conditions they need please return them. They're very specialized fish and need alot of space, even my 135g was enough for 5 of them.

TorturedSOUL

AC Members
Apr 3, 2005
Thanks for the feedback. The LFS has about 6 monos living in freshwater that have been there for a couple of months. The owner says that monos do fine in freshwater. I guess I'll grill him on it a little more.

Anyone actually have any experience with them in freshwater or is this all second hand knowledge?? It's not like I could catch them to return them anyhow..they are fast buggers.

P.S the Danios and the bronze puffer get along fabulously. Minus the occational puffer size bit out of a fin it isn't a constant attack. They've been living together for months now my danios look better than any I've seen in a fish store.

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
All Monos are born in FW or Slight Brackish then migrate to SW or High Brackish.
This is a fact! Your LFS don't know crap and even less if they are like my LFS.
They are there to make a profit! Even if it means sending someone home with the wrong info to get a return customer. "Oh, you must have done something wrong. What is your water quality". They will blame it on you. Get informed!!!
What is said here on the forum is "usually" true. Some of us have years of experience and have learned and researched just to share our info with you.

"they are fast buggers." Yes this is a one of the big reasons they need a large tank! Zzzziiiiiippppp! WALL! Bame!
Or in your 55g zip bame bame bame!
In the wild as adults they swim up and down the shore line and at the mouths of rivers and on the reefs. All of which have current or moving water.

TorturedSOUL

AC Members
Apr 3, 2005
So I have two monos a tyre track eel, fire eel, bronze puffer, and a bunch of danios.

Hypothetically could I remove the danios and slowly start raising the salinity of my tank? From what I've read most these fish are found naturally in some level of brackish water.

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
No sorry, NOT hypothetically. You still need to remove the eels and the bronze puffer before doing anything. The eels are found in BW in the wild, but they can't live there for long periods of time. Especially the high levels Monos require. The bronze puffer is strictly FW and won't live long in BW. Theoretically the bronze puffer should be in a tank by itself, it's too aggressive to keep with sedentary fish like eels.

Alot of fish are "found" in BW in the wild, it doesn't mean they can live there long term.

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
Cliffinism
"its a little known fact"
The whole surface of the Black Sea is brackish water, then there is a line where it becomes so salty that nothing can live and the bottom is poisonous.

Theresa

AC Members
Sep 28, 2004
So, is all this talk about monos in general, or a certain type. My LFS has alot of Mono sebaes and I wanted to know more about them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store