hippo tang sick??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

D.J.

AC Members
May 3, 2008
no this is not my only tank.......the 30 was my first starter tank.....i have it and a 75...once the hippo is done with all this QT time it will be moving into the 75....

yes this tank has inverts in it........shrimp,crabs,snails,baby feather dusters

D.J.

AC Members
May 3, 2008
upon inspection today i think she has made it thru this bout of ich....there are no visable dots any where on here.....last night the shrimp worked her over for about 15min.....and then again when the lights went out for about another 10min......

but this really makes me scared to put her into my show tank with the other fish......wouldnt they contract it?

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
Yes. Chances are the white spot (not ich, ich is a freshwater parasite) has released itself from the fish during the night (it's favourite time to do this) and is now in the substrate of the tank encysting into the theront stage. Next is for the cyst to realease around 200 to 300 infecting theronts which move towards light looking for a fish to host and when they find the fish the whole cycle starts again.
Do not put this fish in the display, it will still be infected the parasite is under the skin you won't see it until it starts to make its way back out again.
You need to get rid of the substrate, any inverts and anything else porous that will home the white spot in its theront stage and treat the tank with copper.

D.J.

AC Members
May 3, 2008
ive been told that once you ad copper to a tank it is pretty much useless after that as far as a show tank....i dont want to crap my 30g out unless i just absolutely have to have...

can i use a 10g tank a QT? i have a few of them just lying around.....if a 10 will work for a QT since my hippo is only 3/4in long how long does she need to be in the copper treatment?

i also read a lil on it.....says that if i raise the temp and leave the tank empty for at least a month that the parasite will die...any truth in that?

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
so she would have to stay in the copper water for 2-3 months????
No, you would need to treat the fish for about a week with copper at a level of 0.2-0.3ppm. After a week you would then do a water change and add carbon to the tank to remove the copper.
The fish would still have to stay in QT for the remainder of the display tank fallow period to avoid re infection and to give time for the cysts in the display tank to die off due to the lack of a host.

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
I personally would not treat with copper. Especially the tang! They are really sensitive to copper. If you decide to use copper though No more than two weeks or you will damage the fish! If I was to go the treatment route I would remove everything from the tank except the fish of course. Go to home depot and get some pvc pipe/couplings for the fish to swim and hide in. Then I would slowly lower the salt level in the tank to 1.009 HYPO-SALINITY Just like JayB Said. These fish survive ich situations in the wild on their own. You may actually kill he fish with kindness if you try too much. There is no copper treatment in the ocean and I don't think that I would want to use a chemical that is poisonous to the fish to try and cure it.

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
There is no copper treatment in the ocean
That is because the ocean is not an enclosed environment like our tanks. Once the white spot leaves the fish in the ocean the chances of that same fish being re infected are slim as the fish will swin off else where so I think this comment is irrelavant.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store