hippo tang sick??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

D.J.

AC Members
May 3, 2008
i myself am scared of droppin the salinty in any of tanks regardless of how well it works.....due to the crabs,hermits,corals,anenomes,shrimp and all i would have to remove from the SHOW tank to do that. and the fish that are in there.....be my luck i would just kill the tank and then im out hundreds of dollars..

thanks for that info thou on doing that....im also kinda on the iffy side of the copper treatment as well since thats not how it happens in real life and im not up to adding stuff to my tanks that doesnt occur in real life....but i guess im just a scaredy cat since im still new to salt tanks....

the hippo is in a rearing tank that i have setup which i could use as a QT since there is nothing in it but her and a shrimp which i can easily remove to the show tank.....

its now been 2 days with no sign of anything and her dorsal fin has now perked up and is at full sail. and she is ALOT more active now.

ive read that tangs keep the MWS with them their whole lifespan....whats the truth behind that? if thats the case since she has no signs of it now and if none show after another week or so im gona attempt to ad her to the show tank along with the cleaner shrimp and a few others that im waitin to show up.

but we will have to wait and see how things go.....

D.J.

AC Members
May 3, 2008
I FREAKING GIVE UP.....guess i gota break down and setup a QT....the lil fella got dots all over again this afternoon....

begining to wish id never bought her.....but oh well.....when i set the QT up can i just suck water outa the tank she is in so its alil less stress full on her since she wont be going into new water and then treat her? or do i have to mix up water....wait weeks for it to be right...then soak her?

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Remember if you are QTing your fish, you will have to QT all of them during treatment. Let the main display run fallow for 8+ weeks.

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
Remember if you are QTing your fish, you will have to QT all of them during treatment. Let the main display run fallow for 8+ weeks.
She has not been added to the main tank yet...Right, still in QT? If she has not been in the main tank, you will not have to let it go fallow.

D.J.

AC Members
May 3, 2008
no she is not in the show tank......she is currently in a 30g holding tank that i have setup(which was actually my first salt tank).....the only thing in there with her is a skunk shrimp and a few cortez hermits.....

Jay.B.

Puffer Lover
Aug 19, 2008
Belper, Derbyshire, UK
Is there any live rock or sand in there with the fish?

anything that needs marine salt levels to survive should be separated.

it would probably be easier to set up a completely empty Qtank with an internal filter (no rock or sand) with water from the tank she is in at the moment, the do a 25% water change daily until the SG drops to 1.009, best to do it slowly so as not to shock the fish too much, keep the fish in hypo for at least 6 weeks, preferably the full 8 to 9.

You will need to keep a close eye on the pH as it will undoubtedly need buffering.

Your fish will survive at that low SG but the parasite won't.

I haven't done hypo myself yet, but a good friend on another forum has done it a couple of times on her puffers (porcupine and start & stripes) if they can get through it then you shouldn't have a problem.

If I've got anything wrong or missed anything here then I'm sure reef will put it right

from what I can tell from viewing threads on other forums, this does appear IMO to be the best way of treating marine white spot

I hope which ever way you decide to go you eradicate the problem, best of luck

D.J.

AC Members
May 3, 2008
:cry::cry:UPDATE>>>>>

thanks for all the help guys but DORI passed away sometime today.....

i only have 2 stores here that sell the copper stuff and neither had it and wasnt gettin it in till fri was the soonest and petco next tues with their order.....both hut for over a week....

she was doing good this morning swam out of her lil cave to grab some food when i fed her and then i went to work to come home to find that she died....

this really T-S me off but considering this is the first fish i have lost in the 8 months that ive been saltwater i guess i cant really complain to much...

i will get another HIPPO TANG but gona wait untill i have everything i need to fight ICH or WHITE SPOT which ever it is.......

again.........thank you to all of you that gave the information on what to do.......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store