Hong Kong Loach

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio
about a week now. still doin good- as well as i know. i cant talk to fish. if he is doin better or worse?
LOL! The best way to know if your fishies are doing well is to study and understand their typical behavior and see how yours matches to it. :) There are many great stories about them on www.loaches.com. They should give you a general idea on how they typically behave.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I'd have to assume what you got was Beaufortia kweichowensis. I've heard of people keeping them successfully in "regular" freshwater tanks, but for them to really thrive, they'll need a river tank where they can get high flow, oxygen and algae like others have mentioned.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
ahh a scientific name? huh i dont know if thats right or not? it looks just like the picture. and the tank they were in was labled "hong kong loach" so?

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
The one from the picture is Sewellia lineolata, which is much rarer and more expensive. If you paid $10+, you might have it. Otherwise it's probably B. kweichowensis, which is what most stores carry.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
well it doesnt look exactly like that. the gold blotches are smaller on mine. and the base color is darker?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
about a week now. still doin good- as well as i know. i cant talk to fish. if he is doin better or worse?
What do you mean if he is doing better or worse?:confused: What happened?

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I suppose that he meant he doesn't know if it's doing better or worse because he can't ask the fish.

It doesn't matter too much which species it is, all the sucker-bodied loaches require basically the same care.

kuhliloach

NannerPuss
Dec 4, 2006
i had one for a couple months but it died, i hope yours live happy healthy lives!

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
yea i meant that, sorry lol worded wrong i spose. He doin great. i bought him some hikari brand sinking wafers. I really like Hikari. But i was reading thru my TFH last months and they have the winners for the british open? and the one winner was a hillie JUST like mine. i forget the dang name tho. i think it was the one you mentioned earlier vampie.

and im sorry about your loss kuhliloach.. there really neat fish to watch. i love the shimmy they do while grazing lol. needs background music

my plan is i dropped the water level, more oxygen, ore turbulance, a bit more current in the tank. its a hex. i got my wafers; my tanks a bit clean. and i am going to grow those white algae rocks.

kuhliloach

NannerPuss
Dec 4, 2006
yea i meant that, sorry lol worded wrong i spose. He doin great. i bought him some hikari brand sinking wafers. I really like Hikari. But i was reading thru my TFH last months and they have the winners for the british open? and the one winner was a hillie JUST like mine. i forget the dang name tho. i think it was the one you mentioned earlier vampie.

and im sorry about your loss kuhliloach.. there really neat fish to watch. i love the shimmy they do while grazing lol. needs background music

my plan is i dropped the water level, more oxygen, ore turbulance, a bit more current in the tank. its a hex. i got my wafers; my tanks a bit clean. and i am going to grow those white algae rocks.
thanks, yeah they go nuts for hikari wafers, i'm wondering what kind of theme music it would have...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store