How big are your clown loaches?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TommyR

Add water, makes it's own sauce!
Dec 15, 2004
Hudson Valley of N.Y.
Reddog80p said:
Hi all,

Just wondering how big your clown loaches are. Could you please post the age of the fish, the size (inches), and what size aquarium you are keeping them in.

I personally do not have any at the moment but I have seen some huge specimens. They were about 12 of them all around 8" in a 1,000 gallon aquarium they were all 20 plus years old.

Red

I LOVE clown loaches! I have 2, each 3" long in a 20g high. Awesome fish!

Tom

llamabob

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
www.myspace.com
Could you guys describe the "personality" so to speak. Is it similar to Oscars? I really like fish who have "personalities" but have always passed over clown loaches, but they sound interesting.

TommyR

Dec 15, 2004
Hudson Valley of N.Y.
H3D said:
A 20 gallon high is way to small to keep clown loaches in. I suggest that you start shopping for a much larger aquarium or get rid of them.

Yeah, well I'm keeping them AND I'll keep them where they are. They are fine where they are. They're happy fish. Work on your people skills a little more O.K.? No offence.

Happy holidays to all!

Tom

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
TommyR said:
Yeah, well I'm keeping them AND I'll keep them where they are. They are fine where they are. They're happy fish. Work on your people skills a little more O.K.? No offence.

Happy holidays to all!

Tom
then they are going to die a slow painful death by stunting. and before you say that he should work on his people skills, perhaps you should work on your own. you did not even take in what he had said. you just brushed it away like it was nothing. you couldve at least told him that you would look into it even if you werent.

TommyR

Dec 15, 2004
Hudson Valley of N.Y.
jm1212 said:
then they are going to die a slow painful death by stunting. and before you say that he should work on his people skills, perhaps you should work on your own. you did not even take in what he had said. you just brushed it away like it was nothing. you couldve at least told him that you would look into it even if you werent.

I don't subscribe to the slow painful death from stunting theory. Sorry. I read and understand what he said just fine. He told me to get a much bigger tank or get rid of them, I find that offensive. Especially the get rid of them part.

I'm not freaking stupid, when they start getting a bit too big (IMHO) for the tank I'll move up. I don't care for "experts" telling me what to do in that manner. Sorry it seemed to tick you off.

Tom

guppygirl123

Proud Member of the Muffin Mafia
Oct 15, 2006
U.S.A
TommyR said:
I don't subscribe to the slow painful death from stunting theory. Sorry. I read and understand what he said just fine. He told me to get a much bigger tank or get rid of them, I find that offensive. Especially the get rid of them part.

I'm not freaking stupid, when they start getting a bit too big (IMHO) for the tank I'll move up. I don't care for "experts" telling me what to do in that manner. Sorry it seemed to tick you off.

Tom
Just because you believe the stunting 'theory' isn't true doesn't mean it's not. It has been PROVEN to be true. You don't have to believe it or not. Why wouldn't a fish that can get to be more than a foot long need more than a 20 gallon tank? Just one clown loach needs many more gallons than that, much less three. And you don't have to be an 'expert' to know that.

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/chromobotia-macracanthus

[font=&quot]The bottom line is that a 20 gallon high is not big enough to keep clown loaches in for more than a month or two. So I posted a response because it would be unethical of me to say nothing to deter others from following your example. It seems that you have done some research and decided to ignore the facts.

[/font]

TommyR

Dec 15, 2004
Hudson Valley of N.Y.
H3D said:
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/chromobotia-macracanthus

[font=&quot]The bottom line is that a 20 gallon high is not big enough to keep clown loaches in for more than a month or two. So I posted a response because it would be unethical of me to say nothing to deter others from following your example. It seems that you have done some research and decided to ignore the facts.
[/font]

That's your opinion and I respect that but I do not agree with it. I apologize if I seemed harsh.

Tom

aussienative

AC Members
Feb 23, 2006
brisbane, Australia
TommyR said:
That's your opinion and I respect that but I do not agree with it. I apologize if I seemed harsh.

Tom
I agree that H3D can come across harsh sometimes, but seriously have a good read of the link he provided... it is excellent information!

Main points to consider-

They get big
They are much happier in groups of 3+(ideally 6+)
They are very active
They are fast swimmers

Whats the footprint of a 20g tall anyways?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store