How long have YOU been keeping fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
When I was 10 or so, I got my first fish, Blueberry Shortcake Sweetie Muffin... (that fish had the LONGEST name in the world!) a male betta who was in a 2 gal hex with heater and filter for like 3 years. When I was 15 or so, for my birthday I got my first ever 5 gallon tank, which I put 2 male guppies, 3 leopard danios, and 5 corydoras (3 bronze, 2 peppered). Along with a mystery snail. The tank got snail infected (SNAILS EVERYWHERE!!!) and I learned the tank was too small, so I bought a 10 gallon for xmas, and moved them in there (and put a male betta in the 5 gal). (At this time, my friends had bettas in 5 gallons and a 10 gallon as well, I became the fish doctor and took care of everyones fish, I was- and still am- the fish nerd)

I also at that time had a 10 gallon at my dads with 2 blue and red columbian tetras, 6 platies, and 3 silver tip rasboras I think it was, and 3 dalmatian mollies. I inherited a 29 gallon from my Grandpa, and moved all the fish from both tanks in there. Then when I was 16-17 I had to move and rehome all the fish :(

Turns out, the place I moved to, allowed fish, so I got 3 fancy goldies in there, but then my dad didn't want fish, so I had to rehome them.

I went without fish for a year (which was AWFUL) and got an apartment with my boyfriend now, so I immediately set up my 29 gallon tank, and then added 2 more 55 gallons to the collection. ;)

So I would say I got seriously involved in fish keeping when I was 14, and now I am 19, so only 5 years. :0)

scorp

AC Members
Aug 31, 2011
hello,
I've been keeping fish for about 12 months only...
I know practically nothing about most things fishkeeping.
However I do know a little about the fish and plants I do have, water quaility control etc
(75g Cichlid tank)
(60g Angelfish tank)
but only a little and enough to keep my fish alive. I try learn something more about fishkeeping in general everyday,
It's why I joined this site I guess. to learn. :)

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Wow! I am really impressed with the people going 20+ years. Keeping fish LONG before I was born :) . It's also nice to see that I am not the only noob here!

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
dani i have to say that the dog on ur avatar always makes me smile, he just looks so happy XD

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Iv been around tanks most of my life..my mother always had one up when i was growing up..didn't have my own tank until about 5 years ago..started with a 20 gallon..and it just exploded from there!

so..about 5 years and my obsession with fish is only growing stronger with every new fish/fish item/tank/filter/idea that I come across

I currently have 7 tanks up...over about 180 gallons combined..my larges tank is a 40 tall that is being upgraded to a 70 tall next month!....YAY

moby goby

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
New York
Real Name
Robert
I kept fish as a child (way back in the '60's) but then lost interest somewhere around 1972/3. I was bitten by the fishkeeping bug again when I bought a 10 gallon tank for my son in 1997. So all together, it's roughly 20 years of fishkeeping experience. I now have five tanks (down from a peak of seven). However, in all that time, I've never gone high tech or tried to become an "expert". I enjoy seeing all the wonderful fish that others are keeping and/or breeding and the beautifully arranged planted tanks, but ... I like to keep it simple since the rest of my life is rather chaotic and time consuming. Have I kept unusual fish? Yes. Do I have planted tanks? Yes. Have I tried saltwater, brackish, paludariums and container ponds? Yes. But I keep coming back to the basic freshwater setup. Maybe someday in the future I'll have the time (and desire) to bring it to the next level.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've been in the hobby for 32+ years. We started in the late 70s, wanted pets but only fish allowed (well not really in student family housing). It quickly grew to 6 tanks in a small apt. Neighbor kids we didn't know would knock on the door to see our "zoo". Bred lots of the "easy" cichlids. We kinda took turns being the more fishy spouse for a while. Joined a fish club. Took a year or 2 off when we moved & had to give up our fish. We're currently fishless again just having moved coast to coast but it won't be as long this time, I miss them.

I'm still learning & I'm a much better fish keeper than in the old days, better equipment, more water changes & more time. I have to say having a bit more disposable income in middle age makes it more fun than having to watch every penny although the cheapness has never truly left.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
almost 3 years since my parents made their mistake of buying me a 20G starter kit for xmas 2007........;)

now i have over 6 tanks(5 running), and breeding;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store