How long have YOU been keeping fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I've been in this obsession for....hm...I'm going to say 2 years? Freshwater anyways. Only got into salt about 5 months ago. Always learning more for sure!

:cheers:

Sheamus71

AC Members
Aug 31, 2011
I love this thread! Makes me want to stick around in Aquariacentral-land. Great to see people who have been keeping fish for so long!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
i had some fish when i was like 5 and then some more when i was 9, but i didnt really get serious until may so about 6 months haha

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Wow, its nice to see that this thread is getting a lot of attention! Boy, do we have a lot of oldies around here ;)

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i have been a fishkeeper since November 14, 2007. my first betta and half gallon cube were thrust into my hands with a cheerful 'happy birthday!', lol.

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
6 years are being really into the hobby with multiple tanks and constant research. Then I quit my job at the LFS, sold my tanks/fish, and moved overseas for a year. Kept Korean bitterlings then came back home. I left 3 small tanks in the care of my family... kind of scares of what my few remaining tanks look like :)

Can't get back into the hobby until I stop traveling though sadly.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Wow - I suppose that makes me a real 'old'-timer.
I started keeping fish as a teen in the mid-'50s - so it's been about 55 years - it's been on & off though, both fresh and saltwater.
In my late teens, I maintained about 15 FW tanks, mainly breeders, ( bettas, gouramis, angels, barbs, tetras, and others) and sold 3 or 4 month old fry to LFS's for next to nothing - .10 or .15 cents, if I remember right, is the most I got, even for Angels - which they resold for .75 to $1.00.
Strangely enough, in the mid '50s - neon tetras for example, cost more than they do today.

What really got me into discus was when I lived in Singapore for a few years in the late '70s, and visited many discus breeding farms in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, and Hong Kong - that got me really hooked !
Of course, you could buy an adult discus there at that time for under $5.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store