i cant take the wait any longer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
okay okay you got me with the bioload not being able to keep up... makes perfect sense. adding more fish will make it worse, while i was thinking it may make it better. point goes to severum and hooked.

i've got whatever comes stock in the 46g bowfront's hood for lights, and i have added plants not too long ago. how long, exactly am i to wait to expect my nitrite spike for crying out loud?! if it's another month, i may have to tear this thing down and get a bird or something. the sticky in the newbie forum claimed around a month, and i'm comming up on that if i haven't reached it yet. (i think i was set up early week 1 of december)

Birds are cool, but don't give up on the fish yet! Give it time and do it right... when it's all settled, PM me your address and I'll hook you up with some cool fish &/or shrimp &/or plants. It's obvious that you are trying to do things the right way, that goes a very long way.

katuuuz

negative bacteria magnet
Jul 22, 2008
CT, USA
forgive me, reading that through again, i've decided to repost. i won't tear my tank down, i am willing to wait it out... it's just so annoying. i set this one up... waited a week, got bored, went out bought and setup a 20 gal. still no readings on my 46. so i go out again and buy a 3g eclipse to one day house a betta... up and running, still no 46g results. i currently have 3 tanks cycling (2 fishy, one non-fishy) and now i'm bored waiting on 3 tanks! ((let alone i now have tripple water changes!))

i have to develop some patience i must say. nonetheless, thanks for bearing with me.

see you all tomorrow.

katuuuz

negative bacteria magnet
Jul 22, 2008
CT, USA
Birds are cool, but don't give up on the fish yet! Give it time and do it right... when it's all settled, PM me your address and I'll hook you up with some cool fish &/or shrimp &/or plants. It's obvious that you are trying to do things the right way, that goes a very long way.
wow that'd be awesome man, thanks a lot, and i will do.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
forgive me, reading that through again, i've decided to repost. i won't tear my tank down, i am willing to wait it out... it's just so annoying. i set this one up... waited a week, got bored, went out bought and setup a 20 gal. still no readings on my 46. so i go out again and buy a 3g eclipse to one day house a betta... up and running, still no 46g results. i currently have 3 tanks cycling (2 fishy, one non-fishy) and now i'm bored waiting on 3 tanks! ((let alone i now have tripple water changes!))

i have to develop some patience i must say. nonetheless, thanks for bearing with me.

see you all tomorrow.
Hey, look on the bright side... it's only triple water changes once all 3 cycle, since you don't have to change water on the fishless tanks for the moment, lmao (unless ammonia gets high enough to stall the cycle, so keep an eye on that). :D

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
wow that'd be awesome man, thanks a lot, and i will do.
No prob.... I can really relate. I went from 1 tank to 16 in about 6 months.

Now I'm buying corals and setting up reefs... :swear:

They need to feature me on an episode of Intervention.

wendamus

Crazy Guppy Lady with serious MTS
Jul 17, 2008
Los Angeles
One thing that greatly speeds up my cycles is to get media or gravel from an existing tank to introduce bacteria. If there are just NO bacteria to start with, it's hard to expect them to reproduce and populate the tank as needed.

Go to your local fish store (preferably not petsmart or petco, they don't give anything away for free) and ask for a used filter from a healthy tank, or a handful of gravel from a healthy tank. If you know anyone with an established aquarium, they'd also be a great source of bacteria laden rocks.

This method introduces a small risk of bringing home unwanted pests such as snails or other things, but you'll likely get those as you purchase plants and fish anyway.

I also have a silly question, as you appear to have educated yourself well. Are you using a water conditioner such as Stresscoat? If not, whenever you do your water change, you're introducing chlorine and/or chloramines, and you're killing off your helpful bacteria before they can get established.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Pretty light load for a 46 gallon tank. With water changes whenever you see ammonia, you may never see nitrites and it may be a long time before you see appreciable nitrates.

As you test and do WCs, the time between WCs will increase slowly.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
You really need to find someone locally with an established tank. One or two real good squeezes of a sponge from their filter into your water would cycle that thing real fast. Scoop up some of their gravel into some pantyhose with a knot at the end and plop that into your tank until it cycles.

Once when I was expecting a long period to cycle a new tank setup, I bought a ton of plants... figuring those wouldn't be harmed through the imbalance like fish would be. There must have been a lot of starter bacteria in the slimy film covering the foliage, because my tank cycled right away after that. If you try this, pick off anything visible that shouldn't go in there (like pond snails, damaged or decaying leaves) and don't rinse it under the tap first.

Whatever you do, don't get discouraged. You'll get there and, believe me, it's very much worth waiting for.

katuuuz

negative bacteria magnet
Jul 22, 2008
CT, USA
wow, come home from work to heaps of help. first of all thank you. i actually asked my lfs guy, the notorious Ed, for some media and he didn't look too pleased, and never really answered me to be honest. the reason my load is so light is because from what i understand fishy cycling is dangerous to fish, so i didn't want to over-pile, and as severum and hooked said last night, the bigger the bioload the more catch-up the bacterial colony will have to do.

it usually takes about 2-3 days to show ammonia, (used to take 24 hrs.) i added plants a few days ago, but nothing yet. if anything they can be the reason the ammonia isn't comming on as fast.

as far as dechlorinator, of course i use it!! .. but now that you mentioned it, it may just have something to do with my problem. i add respective amounts of stress coat for every water change. i always add my tap water via the python and THEN dose with stress coat. i can't really devise a way to treat the water first, and dont really want to do it a gallon at a time in a milk jug or something. do you think in that short 5 minutes or so before i dechlorinate the newly added water that it would kill the bacteria? i've heard of adding water, then dosing before... but is that only for already established plants??

cripe, if need be i'll go to the lfs and stick my hand in the tank and grab a handfull of gravel while Ed's in his office. haha just kidding. if you see a crazed person on the news arrested for holding up a pet store for used gravel, you'll know why i've disappeard.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store