i cant take the wait any longer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Don't worry about the Python thing. I always just dump in the dechlor while the tank is filling up and it's fine. I use Prime and treat for the entire volume of the tank.

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
There has got to be someone willing to give you a currently in use filter cartidge or some gravel. Just DON'T let it dry out before you get it into your tank.
This is how a cycle every one of my new tanks and I never even detect amonia. FYI, for future use, you may want to keep a scoop of gravel in some pantyhose (just cut it off and knot the top) just sitting in one of your tanks. I do this and then just pass it on when I know someone (or I myself) is setting up a new tank.
Hang tough, buddy, you WILL get there soon and be so rewarded for your patience!

katuuuz

negative bacteria magnet
Jul 22, 2008
CT, USA
Don't worry about the Python thing. I always just dump in the dechlor while the tank is filling up and it's fine. I use Prime and treat for the entire volume of the tank.
ok maybe i'll dose while it's filling from now on instead of afterwards.

anyways, i'm going to do what i can to bargain with Ed. if not, i'll go see this kid Jimmy at petco who really doesn't care about his job, basically, he's the man. (he gave me about 6 feet of aquarium background and wrote 4ft, did the same for some some air tubing, and sold me an eclipse 3 for $30.) cool as he is, he may also have that "f*** it" attitude toward how he cares for petco's fish. (at least 5 dead in different tanks everytime i go in there) so i'm not sure i want his media/substrate. i guess i'll go with Ed, even if it means waving a $20 in his face.... that stubborn punk. anyhow, say i score some filter media.. alls i have to do is squeeze water into my tank from it a few times? is this how i would change my own filter media after i've established and am in need of a new piece of foam?

katuuuz

negative bacteria magnet
Jul 22, 2008
CT, USA
Hang tough, buddy, you WILL get there soon and be so rewarded for your patience!

oh you have no idea how good it will be to be done. soon as it is, i don't care if a kitchen fire breaks out, i'm going directly to the fish store to stock this thing full. (well, full as it can and not be overstocked).

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
cripe, if need be i'll go to the lfs and stick my hand in the tank and grab a handfull of gravel while Ed's in his office. haha just kidding. if you see a crazed person on the news arrested for holding up a pet store for used gravel, you'll know why i've disappeard.

I'm sorry--this is funny!!! :lol: My sister lives in CT so I'll have her monitor the news......!!!!!

We've all been there......waiting.......waiting and more waiting. But--the rewards from your patience will be great!!! Come home from work and plop yourself in front of your tanks and watch the show. It makes all the waiting, maintenance, head scratching problems worth every minute. I wouldn't trade my tanks for anything...........that I can think of right now. I myself have never used a python for WCs because of that fear that the new water could kill off any of the bacteria before I got the declorinator into the tank. I am old school--have 4-five gallon paint buckets on hand and about 10-one gallon jugs for the smaller tank WCs (nobody can have just one tank :)). My husband put together a DIY tank filler so I don't have to lift the 5 gallon buckets to fill my tanks. He got me a little stand with wheels to pull the buckets around for filling etc. and used a dishwasher hose connector for the sink to refill the big buckets--no lifting at all! And he put quick disconnects onto the hose pieces that connect to the water pump cuz my hands are not as strong as they once were.

Anyhow--enough of my hijacking this thread--you are soooo close to having a cycled tank!!! Keep with it :thm: and kudos for taking the time to learn about your new hobby first and keeping your fish healthy!! You'll be giving advise to others here on here in no time!!!

katuuuz

negative bacteria magnet
Jul 22, 2008
CT, USA
sorry for so many posts, i keep remembering to ask things.

1. say i can only score a scoop or two of gravel... how long would that have to hang in the tank in pantyhose for me to be all good?

2. if i were lucky enough (or offer enough money) to score filter foam to squeeze in the tank, how long would that take to cycle?

katuuuz

negative bacteria magnet
Jul 22, 2008
CT, USA
just got back with 4 healthy hand scoops of my lfs' gravel in a bag with water.. now do you advise i dump the water into my 46 then hang the substrate in the nylons i bought (i assured the check out girl i wasn't a cross dresser) or get rid of the water and just hang the gravel??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store