ICH......

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Marine stock doest fare well with swings in temp, especially inverts such as corals. Marine ich is also treated differently than FW ich.

I only feel safe with 2 different types of treament and those include hyposalinity and copper. These are ONLY safe for fish. They will kill inverts (snails, crabs, featherdusters, corals, etc.) and much of what lives in the live rock. For this reason these types of treatments are performed in a hospital tank under close supervision. The copper treatment must be done in conjunction with the appropriate type of copper test kit and the hyposalinity method must be done with a refractometer not a hydrometer. All fish should be treated even if they don't show signs of it yet and the display tank must be left fallow for a minimum of 6-8 weeks. Otherwise the parasite will not have had time to go through the cycle without a host. Without a host they'll die. No fish, no host....and then I believe you can rid your tank of ich.

There are other opinions on ways to treat marine ich but the ones above are what I personally feel comfortable with.

shanefee

AC Members
Sep 6, 2007
QT tank set up just making sure water is ok ready for fish. And if the fish have to stay out for six weeks can i still put corals in to the main tank, or is it best to leave it.
And i,d like to say thanks to every one who helped.

Charlesr1958

Working DiveMaster
Oct 30, 2004
Philippines
www.chucksaddiction.com
I would not add anything to the main tank simply because if the coral's base or the rock its attached to came from a system with Ich, you could be introducing the parasite again. Lets say you were 4 weeks into the tank being fishless and then introduce the parasite again, those new arrivals could very well survive up to when you put fish into the tank after another two weeks and have to start all over again.

Chuck

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
Would love to see some studies showing where the tank needs to be fallow for a minium of 6-8 weeks.

Not that it could hurt

Please post any links if possible

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I don't subscribe to zoology journals but I've read a quite a few articles and posts by those that do or have participated in the studies. The marine ich parasite (Cryptocaryon irritans) can live in the cyst portion of it's life cycle for 6 weeks. Eight weeks is used to allow time for it to complete the theront stage.

I'm sure a google search will bring up several reports that are similiar and hey maybe even a free copy of the actual lab data.

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
I don't subscribe to zoology journals but I've read a quite a few articles and posts by those that do or have participated in the studies. The marine ich parasite (Cryptocaryon irritans) can live in the cyst portion of it's life cycle for 6 weeks. Eight weeks is used to allow time for it to complete the theront stage.

I'm sure a google search will bring up several reports that are similiar and hey maybe even a free copy of the actual lab data.

Man, I would love to see some of these reports.
All the reading and studies I have read thus far usually state 4 weeks,(a small % said 6wks) but never a Minium of 8wks,thus my interest.
Also I am in the process of treating Ich and would certainly hate to cut it short if that is truly the time needed.
If you run across any of these reports could you please pass them on?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store