ICH......

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
When treating Ich in this example, one thing always has to be impressed, and that is peoples personal experience of dealing with a certain subject or issue. People do what they feel is right, after reasearching the subject and listening to what others have got to say that worked for them. Niko
I agree.

There is no "you must do it this way, or do it that way", no-one can stipulate that, and they dont. Niko
Sorry,not what I read

All fish should be treated even if they don't show signs of it yet and the display tank must be left fallow for a minimum of 6-8 weeks. Otherwise the parasite will not have had time to go through the cycle without a host.

In this situation, nobody is saying "you must keep a tank fallow for a minimum of 8 weeks", what they are saying is that it worked for them.
Not true

Nothing I've seen states it must be a minimum of 8 weeks but rather a minimum of 6-8 weeks. I personally went with 6 weeks but not because I thought the 8 weeks was untrue but because I was weak and didn't wait it out another 2.

Everyone is here to help eachother out of a sticky situation by passing on their knowledge.

So, if a person disagree's with a way to do something but does not know the solution themselves, then research it and make up your own mind.
If you do not have your "own personal experience" of a subject, then you have to take on board what people say who do have it rather than cross-examine.

Niko
If thats the case why the defensive attitudes when asking for the source/s of the information.I certainly would have no problem if someone asked the whereabouts of information I posted.Sorry you feel that is cross-examine.
As far as the research you mention,this board IS as much a part of a person's reasearch as any other,thats the reason they asked.
As far as "own personel knowledge" read my posts. I AM currently treating Ich and WAS trying to get information,but Valid information, so as to "make up my own mind",but instead I get this.
In post #26 Grins finally points out some areas of information,to which I found interesting andI thanked Her.
So truly heed your own comments rather than do your own cross-examine.
I never realzed trying to get helpful information could be so daunting.
:popcorn::popcorn::eek:

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I clearly stated in post #11 that what I was suggesting was what I feel comfortable with personally and that there are other opinions on how to treat ich. That will be my last comment on the thread unless it pertains to Shane's original question.

shanefee

AC Members
Sep 6, 2007
Always one

There is always one who trys to turn things around. Grinns was,nt saying you have to do it for 6 to 8 weeks just that she did . Anyway if you go to post#14 and read marine ick what Charlesr 1958 put in . CHEARS MATE brilliant bit of info.:thm:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would like to ask that everyone post your thoughts on your ideas of what is appropriate for SW ich cure, and stay away from any attack on one another, especially if it involves a finite definition of "4 or more" or trying to pin an exact time period to a range.

Advice was requested by the OP, and it was offered up on what has worked for many. There is no need to hijack the thread into an arguement on semantics.

Thanks.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
While I don't claim to be a scientist of any kind I have however done a lot of reading on the subject from when I had LaVerne and with Tangs being more "susceptible" to ich I figured I would get a head start.

While performing my research I did rely on the scientific publication of the life cycle of the the marine ich parasite. The total life cycle which is pretty much agreed on in almost every article I red was for the marine ich (Cryptocaryon irritans ) breaks down into the following categories

Tomonts - Reproductive State (3 to 28 Days) Peak Time Day 6 +/- 2
Theronts - Infective State (24 to 48 Hours)
Trophonts - Parasitic State (3 to 7 Days) Peak Time Day 4 to 5
Mature Forms - Disassociation State (up to 18 Hours) - Back to encasement (Tomonts)

If you work worse case scenario, which I believe with any disease is the best course of action to base your analysis on simply due to the fact that the worse case scenario can and does happen, it works out to be a about 38 days (37.75 for you that want specific numbers). If you divide this by the number of days in a week (7) you get 5.39 weeks. With a parasitic disease I don't believe that rounding down is a good idea so I round this number up to 6 weeks.

After you look at this I then would also suggest that you need to calculate your time from the day after you remove your fish from the tank until you place the fish back into the tank.

Also being the type of person who is always wanting to go for the safe number I have decided based on my research and on the advice of those who have had marine ich in their tanks that 6 or 7 weeks would be a good Quarantine Number to work from...

These are my suggestions based on my own research.. I however suggest that you do your own research on the web using Google.. There is TONS of information on this subject.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store