ICH......

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Doubtful I'll be searching for them anytime soon but I know I took their advice and went for a 6-8 week period. There was no way I was going to cut the period short to 4 weeks when I did it. If some sources say minimum of 4 and others say minimum of 6 and they are both professional sources why risk the 4 weeks when it easy enough to add to more weeks? You certainly won't be harming anything. Where in reverse there is a possibility you've just put all your work to waste.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I agree with Grins on this.. Its kind of like the business I'm in.. We over order cable and over pull length to a certain extent simply because it will cost more in the long run with labor if you are short and have to redo it..

The same principle goes with this.. Why risk putting fish back into a tank only for them to recontact the disease and you have to start all over. I think the additional stress of moving them back to a QT tank would be worse then just leaving them there for the additional time. Just over do it to begin with, make sure you cover the whole cycle time and ensure success from the beginning.

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
I think the point of my question is kinda being missed here.

1st,as most, I like to research,and I have never seen any stating a MINIUM of 8 weeks,so how would I know they are a "professional source".

Although you won't be harming anything
(again,debatable information for fish's kidneys),niether would 12 weeks.
Why not just leave the fish in 1.09 indefinately and never have to worry about Ich again?
I'm just trying to locate accurate information on your statement,and could not. I figured maybe you saved a source or two for future references or something and could make it available. I guess not.

2nd,(in my case) no stress on the part of my fish as they are in the same tank already,so no moving involved.

Grins

May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Nothing I've seen states it must be a minimum of 8 weeks but rather a minimum of 6-8 weeks. I personally went with 6 weeks but not because I thought the 8 weeks was untrue but because I was weak and didn't wait it out another 2.

I'm not exactly sure what the point of your question is really if you've decided to treat in your display versus a qt though. Is it to sincerely search for method that has been found to work for others or is it to dispute what has been said by some here?

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
Nothing I've seen states it must be a minimum of 8 weeks but rather a minimum of 6-8 weeks. I personally went with 6 weeks but not because I thought the 8 weeks was untrue but because I was weak and didn't wait it out another 2.

I'm not exactly sure what the point of your question is really if you've decided to treat in your display versus a qt though. Is it to sincerely search for method that has been found to work for others or is it to dispute what has been said by some here?
The point of my question was: your source/s on the information you posted.
I sincerely search for accurate information,and apologize that when asking where you got your info from you take it as being disputed.

Grins

May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I have mulitple sources is the point, I read voraciously and as my club librarian the books I have access to are neccessarily available online. Some of the names I've come to trust on many issues include Bob Fenner, Eric Borneman, Julian Sprung, and a local tank owner that has been a speaker at MASNA conventions Kip Peeler.

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
Thanks,now I can do some more voracious reading:

Like this is interesting from Bob Fenner,especially the salinity part

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ichartmar.htm

The Real Deal: Treating Fishes in Isolation, Allowing the Main System to "Go Fallow"

There are no "reef-safe" and effective treatments for crypt. NONE. Curing infested fishes involves separating them from non-fish livestock and treating them in that other system (or alternatively moving the non-fish livestock). Infested systems can be made "crypt-free" or better "crypt-virulence-reduced" by having them kept free of fish hosts for several (4 or more) weeks without fishes. If practical, elevating temperatures and possibly lowering specific gravity (to the tolerance of other non-fish livestock) can be employed to "speed up" the loss of virulence of the parasites. In practical terms we are generally talking the low to mid 80's F. and 1.017-1.018... with these values adjusted over days time. Care must be exercised in not possibly transmitting disease organisms from the quarantine system... on nets, containers, hands... anything wet, and drying, otherwise sterilizing quarantine tanks and gear between uses.

A) Hyposalinity, lowered specific gravity. Some advocates place lower spg. as low as 1.009. This can work if your fishes are not too challenged already or the pathogen too virulent, however it will not effect a permanent system cure. Know that most common measures of specific gravity are temperature specific and that most non-fish livestock will not tolerate the lower limit (14-16 ppt salinity) necessary to kill off the parasites. Therefore your fishes will have to be separated from your non-fish livestock if you're using hyposalinity as a treatment mode. And there are exceptions, variations to consider using hyposalinity. Cartilaginous fishes (sharks, rays) cannot be treated in this fashion... and such osmotic changes need to be made gradually (over days).

Thanks again for the info

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
shanefee,

Also in your search for aid in your problem with Ich the use of Garlic has not been mentioned.
Note: This is not any cure,but it is supposed to help with the fish's immune system. A fish with a healthier immune system may be able to ward off some diseases.

Many are availabe.
Garlic Extreme
Garlic Guard
and some people actually squeeze fresh garlic for the juice.

Just thought I would throw this out there for the future

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
When treating Ich in this example, one thing always has to be impressed, and that is peoples personal experience of dealing with a certain subject or issue. People do what they feel is right, after reasearching the subject and listening to what others have got to say that worked for them. There is no "you must do it this way, or do it that way", no-one can stipulate that, and they dont. When someone presents a solution to an issue that worked for them, others should either read and accept what the person has said and implement it, or simply take that knowledge and research it and bring yourself to a happy medium with it.

In this situation, nobody is saying "you must keep a tank fallow for a minimum of 8 weeks", what they are saying is that it worked for them. If you do not have your "own personal experience" of a subject, then you have to take on board what people say who do have it rather than cross-examine.

Everyone is here to help eachother out of a sticky situation by passing on their knowledge.

So, if a person disagree's with a way to do something but does not know the solution themselves, then research it and make up your own mind.

Niko

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store