!@#$, ich!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I did the salt/heat with brigs in the tank and they came through alright. I know the MTS did ok.

The ramshorns don't seem to flourish in my tanks though it could be feeding that controls the population. But they also went through the salt/heat.

You're talking a pretty low concentration of salt. 2 tsps per gallon though I've never measured the salinity is pretty low compared to brackish set ups which use 2 tblspoons per gallon, be it marine and not regular salt.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I agree with Ice H20, put the cories and larger snails in ten gallon, treat with rid ich if they develop symptons, and treat the larger tank with elevated temp and salt.
The tiny snails left in the tank may indeed die off but frequent gravel vacs and water changes should mitigate any ammonia spikes that might arise.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Well then, I guess once I get back from town (hopefully with a new heater), I'll evacuate as many snails as I can and put a few veggies in to help get the rest, pluck the large snails, and net the cories, then the salt goes in. It doesn't sound like such a big job as before, thanks to Ice's reassuring post about how some of his snails survived. I had felt miserable, now I feel hopeful. Thanks.

Also, how much salt should I add at a time?

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I would add a tablespoon per 5 gallons with the first water change (today!) and start raising the temp. Another tablespoon per 5 gallons with the next water change tomorrow or the next day at the latest, while gradually increasing the temperature to 85 or 86 degrees.

hope4peace

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
White Mountains of NH
Real Name
Amanda
Here is a great post about using salt as an ick treatment.

[CLICKITY] :)

for the rasing of temp, try not to do more than 1degree an hour.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Trying to remember how I did it.

I think I did 6 tsps dissolved into a gallon container and let it slow drip at the filter output. Took about an hour or 2 to drip in then I'd mix another batch. Once I got to the equivalent of 1 tsp per gallon in the tank I doubled the dose per gallon going in to 12 tsps.

You're looking at putting in 150 tsps give or take. It took 2 full days for me to get to that level.

tankboy_taylor

AC Members
Feb 15, 2007
Salem,NH
Ich Guard 2 worked for me last month I had loaches and cories in the tank although they didnt appear to have it I just treated the whole tank.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Wanted to add that with the higher temp you'll want to drop the water level a bit to make more of a splash for better O2 exchange.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
or add an airstone...

fyrfighter2004

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
I am currently treating Ich in a 55g. I raised temp gradually to 85 over 4 days adding 1 tablespoon of salt for every 20g every day for the 4 days. Now I'm observing for 3 days and after the weekend I'll gradually lower temp back to 78 doing daily 20% wc. Somebody on these boards advised me to do that. So far results are excellent!! I have 4 mistery snails, no problems to speak of

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store