ICK...where does it come from/incubation period???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Originally posted by RTR
I have no experience with garlic as anti-parasite prophylaxis or treatment, but isn't that aimed at gut parasites rather than gill/external?
Depends on if SW Ich is actually a gut parasite during some stage of its life cycle. That and tapeworms are the main applications that I've seen for garlic.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Depends on if SW Ich is actually a gut parasite during some stage of its life cycle.
Cryptocaryon, aka saltwater ich, has essentially the same life cycle as FW ich. No time in the gut. A lot of SW fishkeepers swear by garlic for it, though. I have no opinion.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
SW "Ich" and FW Ich are so radically different that it only causes confusion to discuss them together.
Huh? They are both dinoflagellates, they both infest the gills and epidermis, and, as far as I can tell, their life histories and sensitive periods for treatment are rather similar. I am here to learn, though, so please give some more information.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I was thinking along the same lines as you, Dave...I agree that calling it Ich is a misnomer but I'd like to know how different they are besides water types...

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by redrf900
Hey Guys/Gals...
After 10 months of fish keeping I finally have ick ...... .... Can it come in on infected plants..Jimmy G
Absolutley! -- Ich can come from infected tanks. Put those plants in your tank and, yes, there you go... ICH is such a common disease and shouldn't be..

wetmanNY

AC Members
Cows and Sea-Cows are both mammals. It's the "counterpart" idea tha'ts the problem.

If you called sea otters the marine "counterparts" of the giant Amazonian river otters, then you might expect to find that the river otters would lie on their backs in the river water, cracking shellfish on stones which they carry on their bellies. But they don't; and they don't eat sea urchins like their marine "counterparts" either. "Counterpart," you see, is not a dependable category in the real world of animals. Not that it doesn't have a long history. Medieval thinkers expanded on some hints that they read in Roman natural history writers to imagine that every terrestrial creature had its "counterpart" in the sea. Part of the symmetry that made Creation perfect... But that's getting a long way from the fish tank... -- www.skepticalaquarist.com under "Ich"

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by RTR
SW "Ich" and FW Ich are so radically different that it only causes confusion to discuss them together.
Thanks !

For real, it does make a difference!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store