ID?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I saw this one in a YouTube Malawi scuba vid, this looks awesome, so if anyone has an idea what species this is, I’d appreciate it

607BEB50-144F-4025-981E-BC37ADC4C607.jpeg

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Do a quick search on Google images, the fish is Aulonacara korneliae and is native to Chizumulu Island in Malawi lake.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Do a quick search on Google images, the fish is Aulonacara korneliae and is native to Chizumulu Island in Malawi lake.
I checked the images and Aulonacara korneliae looks different to me. This is all blue with yellow fins and korneliae has yellow shoulder coloring, unless there’s variations with this type, or specific breeding since this is in the wild

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Based on the structure of the bower the male built and the very prominent diagonal line on the female in the background, I'd say Mylochromis, either Mylochromis mollis or one of the various unidentified Mylochromis sp. 'mollis'. It may be Mylochromis mola, but I'm leaning toward either Mylochromis sp. 'mollis likoma' or Mylochromis mollis proper.

WYite

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Based on the structure of the bower the male built and the very prominent diagonal line on the female in the background, I'd say Mylochromis, either Mylochromis mollis or one of the various unidentified Mylochromis sp. 'mollis'. It may be Mylochromis mola, but I'm leaning toward either Mylochromis sp. 'mollis likoma' or Mylochromis mollis proper.

WYite
Thank you, I thought I had it with the lethrinops guess lol. A quick google search shows you nailed it, but also I’m guessing these are tough to come by.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Thank you, I thought I had it with the lethrinops guess lol. A quick google search shows you nailed it, but also I’m guessing these are tough to come by.
You're welcome. ;)?

Mylochromis in general aren't that common. Not sure why, they're attractive fish. I can't recall ever seeing M. mollis, M. mola, or any of the M. sp. 'mollis' varieties. I may have, but just wasn't in the market for them at that time. And I haven't been looking at all for several years now.

WYite

P.S. You're really making it hard for me to stay away from rifties again... ?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store