ID?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Yeah. Especially all the stuartgranti varieties that are now starting to be separated into different species. Some are so close the differences are minute.

The dorsal is yellow, so that rules out the flavescent immediately. Flavescents are one of my favorites, along with the mdoka flametail.

WYite
Oh ok, that’s good to know, about the dorsal. It’s crazy how much and how often they change. I have a Malawi cichlid encyclopedia from the 90s and it seems most of the names are all wrong now lol When I was in middle school, every new world cichlid was cichlasoma it seemed

Reactions: Sprinkle

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Oh ok, that’s good to know, about the dorsal. It’s crazy how much and how often they change. I have a Malawi cichlid encyclopedia from the 90s and it seems most of the names are all wrong now lol When I was in middle school, every new world cichlid was cichlasoma it seemed
They were. I have the Baensch Aquarium Atlas Vol. 1, 1st edition from 1987. Almost all CAs and a lot of northern SAs were in Cichlasoma. There were a lot more species in the genus Acara as well, which has been divided up as much as Cichlasoma. At that time it was believed there were only three species of Cichla (peacock basses) as well. Most of the Lake Malawi haps were in the genus Cyrtocara and probably 90% of mbuna were in Pseudotropheus. Most of the Tanganyikan substrate spawners were in Lamprologus, as well as a large number of river dwelling species from Central and East Africa. Peacocks have mostly all stayed in Aulonocara, but there were only a handful of species compared to today; now there are dozens. And there were dozens of species of East African cichlids just thrown in Haplochromis. Astatotilapia was just starting to absorb some of them. These were all just waste basket taxons where species were thrown as a general classification until furter refinement of their genus and species statuses could be narrowed down further. Times have changed.

WYite

Last edited:
Reactions: FishAddict74

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
They were. I have the Baensch Aquarium Atlas Vol. 1, 1st edition from 1987. Almost all CAs and a lot of northern SAs were in Cichlasoma. There were a lot more species in the genus Acara as well, which has been divided up as much as Cichlasoma. At that time it was believed there were only three species of Cichla (peacock basses) as well. Most of the Lake Malawi haps were in the genus Cyrtocara and probably 90% of mbuna were in Pseudotropheus. Most of the Tanganyikan substrate spawners were in Lamprologus, as well as a large number of river dwelling species from Central and East Africa. Peacocks have mostly all stayed in Aulonocara, but there were only a handful of species compared to today; now there are dozens. And there were dozens of species of East African cichlids just thrown in Haplochromis. Astatotilapia was just starting to absorb some of them. These were all just waste basket taxons where species were thrown as a general classification until furter refinement of their genus and species statuses could be narrowed down further. Times have changed.

WYite
LOL I remember seeing almost every mbuna tank back then with the name pseudotropheus something.. I think I’m living up to my screen name, I’ve been obsessing on mylochromis species since I posted this and took a trip the cichlid shack. I left with a M lateristriga and a 6.5” fully colored lethrinops oculatus. I post pics later, guess I’ll be selling a few of my lower quality assorteds to make room -But worth it

Reactions: Wyomingite

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
LOL I remember seeing almost every mbuna tank back then with the name pseudotropheus something.. I think I’m living up to my screen name, I’ve been obsessing on mylochromis species since I posted this and took a trip the cichlid shack. I left with a M lateristriga and a 6.5” fully colored lethrinops oculatus. I post pics later, guess I’ll be selling a few of my lower quality assorteds to make room -But worth it
You just need more tanks. That big 74 after FishAddict should stand for 74 tanks... ? You don't really need to park the car in the garage in Arizona, do you?

WYite

Reactions: FishAddict74

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Yeah. Especially all the stuartgranti varieties that are now starting to be separated into different species. Some are so close the differences are minute.

The dorsal is yellow, so that rules out the flavescent immediately. Flavescents are one of my favorites, along with the mdoka flametail.

WYite
Just curious if you know what type this is, this is one of the better ones from the few assorted I got. ( have a friend that gets assorted peacocks wholesale and sells them to me for $5, two inches) he’s about 3.5”

E1FF34A9-1E87-40F2-B4F7-6F95BB43B4EA.jpeg

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
That is definitely an Aulonocara sp. 'stuartgranti maleri island', just not in full breeding dress. And the more I look at the one on that packaging, I'm pretty sure it's an Aulonocara baenschi 'benga yellow'.

WYite

Reactions: Sprinkle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store