I'm Back!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
Welcome back woodright,I took the suggestion of another poster here and got a peppermint shrimp for my aptasia,and let me tell you im glad that i did.He's eaten them all out of my tank,and has shed several times.Now mind you that he wont eat them as soon as you drop him in there,it will take him a day or two to jump into action to start eating them.You may have to look into compatibility issues between your current inhabitants though.

WoodRight

New 75 gal not set up yet.
Jan 18, 2008
Watertown,CT
Welcome back woodright,I took the suggestion of another poster here and got a peppermint shrimp for my aptasia,and let me tell you im glad that i did.He's eaten them all out of my tank,and has shed several times.Now mind you that he wont eat them as soon as you drop him in there,it will take him a day or two to jump into action to start eating them.You may have to look into compatibility issues between your current inhabitants though.
Wow that sounds like a great idea. I didn't know they would eat aptasia. I'll try that. I don't think there is anything in my tank that would eat them other then my Coral Beauty.

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
You should try and get the biggest specimen that you can find,the bigger,the more aptasia eating prowess,and a larger specimen will insure a higher survival rate.

WoodRight

Jan 18, 2008
Watertown,CT
Yeah I will try and do that. I got some money comin in soon so I will get one or 2 in a few days.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
You may find that the Peppermint shrimp will only go for the smaller Aiptasia. Larger ones seem to be too much for them.

I have (definately one possibly two) peppermints and they certainly keep my Aiptasia at bay.

WoodRight

Jan 18, 2008
Watertown,CT
You may find that the Peppermint shrimp will only go for the smaller Aiptasia. Larger ones seem to be too much for them.

I have (definitely one possibly two) peppermints and they certainly keep my Aiptasia at bay.
Thanks Cat,

I'm going out tonight to get 2 peppermints. I guess I see what they can't handle and get rid of them with Kalk.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
:popcorn:I want to see crab pics. :popcorn:What is that spidery looking crab called?

WoodRight

Jan 18, 2008
Watertown,CT
An Arrow crab and I'm bringing him back tonight because I have seen him eat some of my other crabs.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Don't foget to take a photo of your peppermint shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni), it may be the last time you see it! I hardly ever see mine, it is definately more secretive than my cleaner shrimp. He's more courageous when the lights are off:)

I don't blame you for taking back the arrow crab (Stenorhynchus seticornis). I had one, and although it didn't eat any of my crabs (I did see it catch and eat 1 bristleworm) it grew to 12 inches from tip of leg to tip of opposite leg. Took over the whole darn tank - that was in my 60gallon tank before I started researching properly!!!!!:)

I have heard (can't remember where or who and never seen it for myself) that they can spear fishes with their spike!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store