Injury questions OK here, too? Shubunkin with wing damage...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
If you want to treat with Jungle Fungus Clear or Jungle Fungus Eliminator, then the carbon needs to be removed otherwise the carbon will absorb the treatments thus your efforts to treat the fish, are wasted.

It does look like a fungal infection to me rather than bacterial infection. There's another alternative to it, mercurochrome which you have to apply directly on the infection with a wad of cotton. This may seem stressful as this entails handling the fish which could stress it. This can be minimized by placing the fish on a soft towel as you apply the mercurochrome.

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
I do have an API kit, fresh in the box, dragged it home along with the rest of the fishy first aid kit. Sorry, don't know what filter floss is...I have a spare spongy pad of pond filter, more foam than mesh, that I could cut up and use along with the coarse mechanical filter if that'd help.

Ok, taking out carbon-ed filter and putting in medicine....my stomach hurts. This is worse than taking the kids to the ER...at least they can tell me what hurts. :(

Jen

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I do have an API kit, fresh in the box, dragged it home along with the rest of the fishy first aid kit. Sorry, don't know what filter floss is...I have a spare spongy pad of pond filter, more foam than mesh, that I could cut up and use along with the coarse mechanical filter if that'd help.

Jen
Filter floss is similar to cotton in appearance. It helps grab the fine particles that sponges and most filter media don't.
http://www.buffalobatt.com/Industrial_Products/media/plain.jpg

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.

Ok, taking out carbon-ed filter and putting in medicine....my stomach hurts. This is worse than taking the kids to the ER...at least they can tell me what hurts. :(

Jen

your going to make really good use of the ammonia test in that box for the next lil while, lol.

your 'spongy pad of pond filter' will work perfectly. just cut it to fit the smaller new filter. i personally would put two layers on top of the sponge (i'm once again assuming, lol, that you have just a sponge in there now and the media area would be normally configured the way an Aquaclear hob is?). if two layers affects your filter flow much then omit one layer.

as for it being worse than getting kidletts doctored, of course! they are our finkids after all, lol.

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Thank you, thank you Bettafishmommy and Lupin. I rinsed all the carbon out of the filter for tonight, as my pond filter is going to take some surgery to fit in there, and dosed her up. I think I can get an 'unassembled' filter that requires adding the carbon, and use it w/o assemblage, in the morning. And morning is going to be here way too early...

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted.
Jen

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Ok, tested the water when I got home--0.25 ammonia, so doing a water change. Medicine says a 25% water change, but I think I will do 50% as I have no other way of keeping ammonia at 0--no used filter media.

Fish are like cats...clean out their litter box and they immediately have to poo!! Maybe like kids, too...the minute you leave the house they have to go:)

90% of the fuzz is gone, and I can see little bits at the injury site that look like clear hairs..fin re-growth maybe? Had to do the happy dance:dance: She was all tucked away in the corner when I got home, looking lonely, but as soon as I started poop scooping and water change (the "gravel vac" thing I got at the store sucks water fine, but not poop, so I am swirling the water a bit and scooping...the things we do for our fish), she perked up and came over to investigate, and poo some more :)

Went to bed convinced she was going to be covered in fuzz this morning, got up and she didn't look any different, worried all day at work...her fin looks SO much better now. The injury is still there, and a little irritated, but clearing, much less funk. Her gill cover is still that funny color, but I am starting to wonder if that is just HER color, under a bit of fungus. She has all kinds of different colored speckles...

Thanks again to the Fishy ER night shift, having a hand to hold made all the difference.

Jen

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
you are very welcome Jen! more than happy to help and being an insomniac fishkeeper with OCD makes me a prime consult candidate for the case, lol!

i am glad to hear Inidigo is doing much better. keep up the good work!

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Update...

Poor Indigo! If only the paparazzi would quit with the flash...
IMG_4732-2.JPG
Her fin is looking much better, and even the greenish patch on her gill is fading...nice 'spaghetti sauce' on the side of her mouth:). Never noticed that til I spent several hours with my nose pressed against the hospital tank :) Usually see her from the top in the pond...
IMG_4735-1.JPG
The "GOOD" side...more her real color, though the blue got a little hot when I adjusted for the frosty plastic...

Jen

IMG_4732-2.JPG IMG_4735-1.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store