Introduction / 125 Gallon Terrarium Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bunnyhunter42

AC Members
Nov 27, 2009
Huntington WV
Real Name
Ryan
very nice i like how this is coming along! subscribed

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
So here is some more work on the Terrarium. I ran short of Pea Gravel to complete the sump work, however it only really matters on the sump side the there is full drainage as long as water can flow towards the sump drain then all is well. So I used some extra two part foam from the background and dug out the left side of the terrarium pea gravel until I came to the tank. I worked carefully so as not to disturb the level area where the 10 Gallon Aquarium will be placed as it was already level and true. I mixed the foam without pigmentation as it will not be seen once covered in pea gravel and soil mix.

The pix are where I am right now. With the Foam poured, expanded and set, the pea gravel in place and the filter screen in place ready to receive the soil mix.

The next placement now will be the 10 Gallon aquarium Tank, however, I am having some final equipment issues with it right now. so I may have yet another delay.

I could plant the plants on the left side of the Terrarium and set back the soil away from where the 10 Gallon will be place and continue the lighting as I am currently, even if somehow inefficient and insufficient for the plants in the long term it is only a short term lighting situation ... much like some of us place fishes way over crowed in way under filtered buckets for a few hours in transport from place to place.

I want to have the canopy ready to go before I have the 10 Gallon Aquarium in place. Besides I havent even worked out the planting schematic for the Aquarium yet ... been too focused on the Terrarium.

Anyway ... enjoy these few pix...

Best Wishes,

Wes

10 Gallon Aquarium Base Platform.jpg Foam Fill in Leu of Gravel.jpg Front Gravel Fill with Screen Mesh.jpg Front Shot of Gravel Fill with Screen Filter Mesh.jpg

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Awesome project! Looks like a great start. I can't wait to see how this progresses!

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Small Update ...

So I did a little more work on the Terrarium. I finished the drainage bed/sump. I layered about 1/4 inch of soil conditioner over the screen that covers the pea gravel and cover it with yet another layer of screen. the area that looks like an "L" alread has soil conditioner there as a pad for the 10 Gallon Aquarium that will be placed there soon. See completed pix.

Right View Soil Conditioner and Screen.jpg Front View Soil Conditioner and Screen.jpg Soil Conditioner Filter and Screen.jpg

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Got new pix ...

So I placed the 10 Gallon Aquarium in the 125 Gallon Terrarium. Leveled her off. Took two fills. And we are of and running. I haven't decided How I am going to scape the 10 yet. Been too busy with the Terrarium part. But that aspect is fast coming to a close. In a couple of weeks after some rest I will be making my own canopy that will house CF lights. The kind the look like regular incandecent bulbs. There will be 9 all together with three placed over the 10 Gallon tank.

I hope some of you planted tank guys would chime in on this. I am sure there will be some debate over this. I want there to be. I can always make simple changes over time.

Now for those pix.

Overall View with 10 Gallon Aquarium Placed.jpg Right End with 10 Gallon Aquarium PLaced.jpg

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Up Date ... :)

More Work Completed ...

The Terrarium is nearly 85% completed the 10 Gallon insert ... well it lags behind at just about 10% :(.

First layer of soil mix lightly compacted.

Shows the overall view.

Shows a Green Fantasy Fern (Nephrolepis exaltata) in the front left corner. There are other divisions of this plant arount the terrarium, but this is the largest.

Back left corner.

Inside shot looking at the right end.

Right end view of Terrarium w/o Aquarium.

Right end view of Terrarium w/o Aquarium.

Left end looking down.

Small Green Fantasy Fern (Nephrolepis exaltata) on right end.

These are the plants that you will see in the terrarium currently:

• Nerve plant, Painted net leaf (Fittonia argyroneura)
  • English ivy (Hedera helix)
  • Parlor Palm, Neanthe Bella Palm, Good Luck Palm (Chamaedorea elegans)
  • Green Fantasy Fern (Nephrolepis exaltata)
  • Emerald Ripple Peperomia (Peperomia caperata, peperomia caperata “schumi red”)
Item left for the overall work:
Complete Canopy ... (waiting for in put here)
Planting plan for the 10 Gallon Aquarium ... (waiting for ideas here too)

Purchase additional plants for the Terrarium
  • Kyoto Moss
  • Irish Moss
  • Baby Tears
  • Mini Kolanchea
  • Prayer Plant
After the plants have established in the aquarium I will begin to introduce the fish population slowly.

I think I have settled down on a few:

5 x Kuhlii Loach (Pangio kuhlii)
10 x Glowlight Tetra (Hemigrammus erythrozonus)
1 x Amano Shrimp (Cardina multidentata)

Well this is where I am I was difficult for me for those who have followed the thread and know me you may understand. Something are not as simple as just add water and stir for many people. Life for some get a little more complicated yet I struggle to meet life at every challenge head on and work at not let my situation get the best of me ...

From my perspective there are three kinds of people:

Those who talk about what happened.
Those watch things happen.
and those who make things happen.

And just in case there are those who don't know. I am a Jerry Lewis kid (adult) I have Muscular Dystrophy. I say this not for you to feel sorry for me but to be encouraged, because "can't never did nothin' "
Thanks for looking.

There will be more to come a I yet also build the canopy and continue the Terrarium.

EDIT: One last thing, I have plastic wrap ove the top to keep the humidity up and so I may not have to mist as often. So far I have been misting 2 - 4 times each day.

Best wishes
Wes

Last edited:

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
In a couple of weeks I will be building a canopy to top this 125 Gallon Terrarium.

This is the list of materials I will be picking up:

1 1x12x8 for the Top
1 1x10x8 for the top
1 1x6x10 for the front and ends
1 1x4x8 for tha back

4 1-1/2" Corner Brackets
4 1-1/2" Corner Cleats
1 48" x 1-1/16" Piano Hinge (Nickle)

1 3/4"x4' aluminum angle for center glass top bracing

High Gloss Exterior Paint for inside the Canopy
Satin finiash Interior Paint for the outside.

Reflective sheet Metal for relectors (undesided)

16' Black 12 gage wire single strand
16' White 12 gage wire single strand
16' Green 12 gage wire single strand

16 gage stranded White
16 gage stranded Black

9 Ceramic Light Sockets w/ pigtails and 1/8" PT
9 Crossarms
18 1/8" PT Nuts
8 4-1/2" x 1/8" PT Tube
1 10" x 1/8" PT Tube

Wire connections will be soldered and shrink tubed sealed. I will recycle an extension from an old power tool for the grounding plug.

The Canopy will be hinged from the top rather than the back.

Here's a Drawing:

Best Wishes

Wes

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Here is a pic of the Light socket assembly I plan on using in the canopy.

The crossarm will be bent to allow the wires to pass without being pinched. There will be no wiring box, but the wiring connections will be soldered and have shrink tubing over each connection.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 157KB.

Thank for looking.

Best wishes,

Wes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store