Is it corys or cories ?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Is it corys or cories ?!

• Corys

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • Cories

Votes: 34 54.0%

• Total voters

Carp37

Catfish and Cichlid lover
Jul 11, 2007
Aughton, UK
I'm usually pedantic in terms of correct English, but in this case I make an exception and go for "corys" not "cories", mainly because if I abbreviate a genus name to four letters and then change one of them (and add one, i.e drop the "y" and add "ie") to pluralise, then there's only three matching letters to Corydoras. I'm sure everyone will know what you're talking about in either case.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
I've used Cories as a plural for Cory, but if Corydoras is of Latin extraction, I suppose the correct plural would have to be Corydora.

All I know is that monkies is incorrect (unless you're talking about Davy Jones, Michael Nesmith, Peter Tork et al, and then it's Monkies) and that it certainly is not Corydorasus.

zanytomato

AC Members
Jul 31, 2007
Vancouver
I vote for "corydori" :)

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
I use cories, mainly because when I see "corys" it makes me think of it with an "I" sound. That being said, I usually just add "ies" instead of "ys" with anything I write, just because there aren't enough exceptions to really bother with it. Obvious things like "monkeys", but for others, well...

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I've used Cories as a plural for Cory, but if Corydoras is of Latin extraction, I suppose the correct plural would have to be Corydora.

All I know is that monkies is incorrect (unless you're talking about Davy Jones, Michael Nesmith, Peter Tork et al, and then it's Monkies) and that it certainly is not Corydorasus.
lol, nope, they were (hey hey) the Monkees.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store