Is it corys or cories ?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Is it corys or cories ?!

• Corys

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • Cories

Votes: 34 54.0%

• Total voters

OldMan47

I love my endlers
Jan 1, 2008
Central Illinois
It don't care which one I use. It depends on my mood more than anything. Most often its corydoras but if I am abbreviating it I will use whatever other people in the thread are using because I know they are both wrong. Rite?

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Wow. This is a close race.

("Cories!" :headbang2:)

(Although I do admit to spelling it both ways. :eek: )

equus_peduus

Constantly Confused
May 8, 2007
Bay Area, CA
I prefer cory's in the plural sense
Apostrophes are evil when you're trying to be a plural. Though I suppose it could stand for the "doras" part... *confusion sets in*

But it's a pet peeve of mine... people adding apostrophes to make pluras, people who can't figure the difference between "its" and "it's," or "their," they're," and "there" ...

Because of the aforementioned rule of y -> ies, I tend to do cories - corys looks wrong. I just had to re-type it about three times to even do it...

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
Wow. This is a close race.

("Cories!" :headbang2:)

(Although I do admit to spelling it both ways. :eek: )

i guess im not the only one that spells it both ways.

i think it just comes down to when i type cories... it just doesn't look right.
But then i type Corys... and i know according the those english rules its not technically right.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
I always type corys, but I don't know if that is right.

Beasts

Beasts
Jan 15, 2007
In proper english, if you add 's' to a word with 'y' on the end, you change the 'y' to 'ie'.
I think that rule would apply unless the word in question is a proper name, like a genus name (Corydoras). However, since we have already corrupted the name by shortening it to Cory I'm not sure whether that rule would still be relevant. ????
Beasts

Beasts

Beasts
Jan 15, 2007
I prefer cory's in the plural sense
I always thought that the "apostrophe s" word ending was possessive and for the plural you use just the "s", no apostrophe. An s followed by an apostrophe at the end of Cory would be plural possessive.
Another point is that genus names should always be capitalized. And if you shorten Corydoras to Cory it should still be capitalized, IMO. It's been a long time since my english grammar courses. ???
Beasts

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store