is there something wrong with my blackmoor?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

newbiefishlover

AC Members
Apr 17, 2009
hi thanks for your message!
yes that looks like the one i bought, as you said there is very little information about it , not reassuring lol

but the wound, to me seems to not have got any bigger and i 'think' i t looks like its healing??
bit of a strange question, but can a fish be depressed?
as when i kept the moor on its own in a seperate tank there was no filteration(this was only for 1 day) so i could not leave him in this seperate tank, but as soon as he was back in the main tank - the other moor again tried to 'suck on him'. iv seperated him in to his own part of the tank using mosqito net, this is safe for the fish to not get tangled in , but he hovers by the net looking at the other fish -is he getting depressed because iv kept him seperatly ?
there is nothing else i can think of that can keep the moors seperate?

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
but the wound, to me seems to not have got any bigger and i 'think' i t looks like its healing??
Excellent news.. I was worried that this might still be getting worse, not better. Healing completely will take a little while, but at least this seems to be improving. Keep up the good work!

bit of a strange question, but can a fish be depressed?
Clearly, yes. And the fact that you even ask the question shows that you're getting to know your fish well and are learning to intrepet their behavior. Like with any other pet or even very young children who are not able to verbalize... the more we know and understand them, the better. That's why it's important for us to observe them and interact with them on a regular basis. Then when something stands out from the norm, we'll wonder why and start looking at things which might be wrong.

The more we observe our fish to note what "normal" behavior looks like, the easier it becomes for us to recognize their mood and state of emotion in different situations. When an otherwise happy, active, and playful fish suddenly feels sad or is uncomfortable for a reason, they do act differently and we will notice this behavior change.

Goldfish are very expressive. They're also very social fish and they form close bonds with each other (and with us, I might add). They don't like being isolated at all. We can see this by the way they act.

as when i kept the moor on its own in a seperate tank there was no filteration(this was only for 1 day) so i could not leave him in this seperate tank, but as soon as he was back in the main tank - the other moor again tried to 'suck on him'. iv seperated him in to his own part of the tank using mosqito net, this is safe for the fish to not get tangled in , but he hovers by the net looking at the other fish -is he getting depressed because iv kept him seperatly ?
there is nothing else i can think of that can keep the moors seperate?
Without being able to see what the mosquito netting looks like and not knowing how securely you've managed to attach it, it's hard for me to say. You'll have to use your best judgement here.

The netting must be dense enough to keep mosquitos from getting through it, so that should work great... not allowing the fish to get it's fins or gill plates snagged. Goldfish are relatively bulky and move quite fast, so if the net droops or sags at all, he could get tangled in it or dislodge it when you're not there to see this happen. Then because black moors have protruding, delicate eyes.. you also need to make sure those are protected.

If you decide the netting might not be strong enough to keep the fish separate, you can still use a small unfiltered tank, basin, or bucket as a last resort in lieu of a better equipped hospital tank. Dissolved waste produced by the fish will accumulate in the water all the time, so large daily water changes of between 50-80% would be crucial in this case.

I once had to make due with nothing but two 5 gallon buckets and an airstone because I had several sick fish to treat at the same time for different problems using different meds... and the quarantine tank I had on-hand was already occupied. I didn't have anything else I could use and had to wait for my next paycheck to buy another filter. (By this point, I'd already spent all I could to buy medications they needed.) What I did was fill up both buckets at the same time, treated the water with dechlor, and waited until the temperature was within a 1-2 degrees of the tank water. The goldfish went into one bucket with an airstone and one leafy plastic plant to make the fish feel protected and safe. The second bucket was left to sit for 24 hours so the water temperature would be exactly the same. The next day, I gently transferred the fish, airstone, and plant from one bucket to another and left her alone so she wouldn't get stressed out by this. Once the first bucket was free, I wiped it down with a paper towel and refilled it for use the next day. I knew this wasn't an ideal setup and it shouldn't be done for an extended period, but it kept the water clean and bought me the time I needed to set up something better.

newbiefishlover

AC Members
Apr 17, 2009
thatnks for your reassurance with the netting- i was hopeing to have got a larger tank by this weekend but the sale fell through and i dont quite have enough money to buy a large enough one for a few weeks.....
iv put the netting across the tank diagonaly, weighed it down with the gravel and some large stones at the bottom and pulled it tight across the top and secured it with gaffer tape- the only thing not secured is either side in the tank- but it is pulled straight, so that it wont fold over on to the fish if they do swim in to it- it also gives room for escape and the fish swapping places lol.

i looked in the shop where the tank was bought , and it is definatly an 80 litre tank ,and the water is about an inch from the top!- at least i finally have the exact volume!
i might try to put the fish in the seperate tank then so as to stop it being able to watch the other fish and not interact!
as far as i know it is only the other moor that 'sucks on it', so would if i put the wounded one in a seperate tank, would it be ok to put one of the other fish in there too to keep him company, but i will keep an eye on them to make sure theres sucking happening?

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Separating them for quarantine is a temporary step... It's just a matter of weeks. The isolated fish might feel a bit lonely, but it's not a severe thing. Nothing to worry about.

Normally, I wouldn't move another fish with the one who is sick just to keep him company. It's not necessary and places the healthy fish at higher risk should the ill/wounded fish develop secondary infection, disease, or parasites because it's natural resistance is somewhat lower than normal. You also know that all the goldies you have are in spaces (for the moment) that are too small. The fish who is recovering is the one that is least able to tolerate low water quality. Keeping him separate and keeping his water clean is the best treatment you can give for him to heal faster.

newbiefishlover

AC Members
Apr 17, 2009
ok thanks for that info, i did think about that myself but wasnt too sure!
ill move the otehr fish back in to the main tank tomorrow!
would it be worth adding some aquarium salt to the tank to help the healing process?

thanks for oyur help by the way, its very much appriciated!

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
You're most welcome, Nat.

Probably wouldn't use salt for this. The best treatment for a wound is clean water and good quality food... the fish will recover on it's own. That's as far as we know so far, without more info on the "spot." Further treatment may be needed once you can tell what else is wrong or get us a photo so we can take a better stab at this.

newbiefishlover

AC Members
Apr 17, 2009
i finally have a pic of hte fish,its not very clear as it was on my phone, but i dont know how to upload it on to here?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store