is this the right silicone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I've used the DAP brand's aquarium-specific silicone, although I forget what exactly it is called. Regardless, it too smelled a bit like vinegar.

On a side note, General Electric (GE) is not a Walmart brand. Sure, some of their products are available at Walmart, but GE predates Walmart by 70 years, founded in 1892. Thomas Edison himself was involved in the formation of the company.
You may also recognize GE as the company that now employs Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin...;)

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
wait so will it hold my 55 gallon together?
What I found a while back on this or some other forum, was a quote from a GE rep, posted by someone who asked them. The response was that their "Silicone II" is not meant to seal tanks, but that it is safe for aquarium inhabitants. The packaging used to say "aquarium safe", but they took it off.

The general assumption is that they removed it for liability reasons.

I'm sure sure that some people have used it to seal tanks and had no problems. There's exceptions to every rule, and for the most part GE was just covering it's own behind with that statement. But it's enough of a risk, that I'm not willing to chance it.

Lemme see if I can find the actual quote. I'll post it here if I do.

*After digging for that thread with Google, there's all sorts of claims and quotes, and they often contradict each other. What I do know for certain, is that if given plenty of time to cure (72 hours in my case, just to be safe) it is aquarium safe for inhabitants, because I've used it for years and my fish are still alive. As far as holding a tank together is concerned though, ignore my earlier post. The info is just too conflicting for me to say for certain.

Last edited:

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
For resealing a tank, in my opinion, being very safety conscious when it comes to gallons and gallons of water potentially damaging my floors and killing my fish, actual aquarium sealant. But you'd likely need to go to an LFS or pet store for that.

For what works from Home Depot, you'd need someone who's used something there to seal a tank that's stood the test of time (longer than a couple months) to chime in with their input.

panorama

Rookie
Oct 10, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
Real Name
Jason
If it says mold resistant dont use it, ge silicone 2 has the mold resistant chemical in it as well. You want to use ge silicone 1 its the pure stuff or go to your local glass shop and have them order you a tube of cr. Lawrence aquarium sealant, I have made my own tanks in the past and have been in the glass buisness for 5 plus years.

Sent from my ADR8995 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store