is this the right silicone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Another tidbit of info I was given when doing my reseal is that the silicone between the panels (that you do not remove unless replacing a pane) should be enough to hold together the glass by itself the inside silicone is used to 1) strengthen it for our mass produced tanks and 2) make it less likely to leak

panorama

Rookie
Oct 10, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
Real Name
Jason
Do not use GE silicone 2, use GE silicone 1 it is the only one with no extra chemicals added

Sent from my ADR8995 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Everything iv ever read on the subject says use 2 not 1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

panorama

Rookie
Oct 10, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
Real Name
Jason
I have done a bit more research, both 1 and 2 are aquarium safe as long as you dont get the red tube which is kitchen and bath. the red tube has the mold inhibitors in the silicone.

also the only diffrence between 1 and 2 are tensile strength on diffrent materials, ge silicone 1 has the better glass tensile strentgh. with this said since you are not building a tank from scratch and simply are resealing, GE silicone 2 will be sufficent as long as it isnt the red tube with the mold inhibitors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store