Jeffrey's "Big Boy"---120g Planted

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
Well, this is the plumbing I've finally landed on. It gives me two circulation loops, a co2 reactor with venturi loop and fractioning impeller.

I plan on making the spray bar not really a spray bar, but just a dispersion bar....letting the filter water just kind of seep out. The 700 gph pump is going to do the labor on circulating the tank.

120g Plumbing (Directional) crop.JPG

Last edited:

Fresh250

Fishaholic
May 5, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
very nice work... and i know what you mean about taking it slow and doing it right the first time.. thats how im doing my current tank... and i must say everything is much more satisfying in the long run

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
Well, I finally did some real actual work on this thing. We've got a club auction coming up on March 7th, so I'm trying desperately to have it cycled by then.

When I was growing up, I was the youngest of 3 boys, and we ALL played with Legos. By the time I came along, we had multiple big popcorn tins filled with Legos. Basically, any part you could even want for anything you could ever want to build.

I tried to apply that approach to this. :hihi:

Blank slate:

Finished product:

Left Side:

Center:

Right Side:

Obviously I could have built the thing with a few less 90 elbows, but I was building for form and function. I was trying to maximize my left over space in the stand.

And, for the record, I still had to make 1 more trip to Home Depot, and 2 more trips to Ace for more parts. :hihi:

I let it all dry overnight, so water test will be today. Cross your fingers.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
looks great JM. hope your test works out.

I get everything that's going on except in the picture marked "center"... is the thinner tube with the john guest fittings a pressure relief or something? what's going on there? I imagine it lets a trickle through when the solenoid is off?

also, do you have a drain line plumbed in?

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
looks great JM. hope your test works out.

I get everything that's going on except in the picture marked "center"... is the thinner tube with the john guest fittings a pressure relief or something? what's going on there? I imagine it lets a trickle through when the solenoid is off?

also, do you have a drain line plumbed in?

The 1/4" line in that center picture is my venturi loop, venting co2 out of the reactor and back upstream to go back into the fractioning impeller.

Gbbudd

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
If i'm reading this right your going to combine two ehiem pumps to the same return? that may add back pressure to one or the other they will not be equal pressure Though slight in the long run it may cut down on life span of one or the other

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
If i'm reading this right your going to combine two ehiem pumps to the same return? that may add back pressure to one or the other they will not be equal pressure Though slight in the long run it may cut down on life span of one or the other

At 5/8", the back pressure is not significant to the pumps, and it becomes even less significant as you increase the return line. My return is 3/4". There is a 5/8" restriction at the Hydor inline, but that's not something to worry about.

Point is, I've run Eheims like this before on a 5/8" line, but in this case it's a 3/4" line.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store