Jeffrey's "Big Boy"---120g Planted

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
I ordered all of the supplies for automation including the parts for my DIY controller.

Materials include:

• DIG 5006 Drip Irrigation Controller ordered from Sprinkler Warehouse for $65.
  • 4 120 VAC, 3 Amp relays, part number Tyco KHAU-1711-24 ordered from ebay, $4/each
  • Technical Pro PS-S8 rack mount power supply ordered form ebay, $20/shipped
  • 2 Rainbird irrigation solenoids, 1" NPT, from Sprinkler Warehouse, $11
  • 1 "miniature" float switch from Fish Bowl Innovations, $12 plus shipping
  • Some granulated activated carbon inline cannisters for the refill line
I'm starting to get excited now.

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
I got all the parts in for my controller and I got it all soldered together:

I have four independently controller sockets in the Technical-Pro power supply, with 2 spares for non controlled power. I have 2 24 VAC controlled ports on the controller for my water change solenoids when I pipe everything together.

I'll be operating co2/light bank 1 together and UV/light bank 2 together to start off with so I'll have s splitter downstream of the socket. I've wired the power supply so that the relays are in parrellel to the switches, and therefore the switches on the PS can manually turn on a circuit. Depending on my uses later, I may rewire this so that the switches manually override the relays and shut down the circuits.

I'll be taking a little break from this tank for the next month or so. I'm taking some distance learning classes and have to focus my efforts on finishing those up during January.

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
Why is it that sometimes I read things on here and I feel like I should have gone to college? In fish engineering. Between this and a few of Tom Barr's tanks I've seen go together I am going to have to do some real research on these in-line systems and especially the auto water change idea. Absolutely amazing. I would really love to see more details on these systems. Maybe "dumb it down" a bit for me :duh:

Truely amazing work. Looking forward to more updates when your schedual permits. Good luck with your other endevors in the mean time.

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
whoa nice work on the controller man :thumbsup:

May I ask what paint you used to paint the tank?

As far as brand, I couldn't tell you. Whatever the Lowe's brand is. But, I use Latex Flat Black paint and I painted lik 4 coats plus touch up. Latex is nice because it's so easy to remove if/when you want to change or do away with a background.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Spray paint will work....if liquid, I would roll it on vice using a brush.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
:iagree:
Rollers are easier. I have brushed,rolled,and sprayed.Spraying is easiest,but you have to cover up everything but the back which is a pain IMO.

Another great build! Can't wait to see it progress.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store