Joel's 1st Marine Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Just make sure the salt mix gets dissolved completely before you start adding anything else. Not that it will hurt your rock but your SG will not be true until its properly mixed. I say this because you added the sand and some of the mix could settle a bit.

I don't think I noticed any filtration on this setup. I know its not drilled so are you planning on any type of a HOB filiter, skimmer or maybe a canister? Your probably going to have an issue with surface scum. You can angle your PHs towards the surface to help break it up but in my experience the scum and particulate just clouds the tank. You can add some type of overflow box which leads to a sump or if you don't want to do that you can get something like an Aquaclear 110 or 70 with a surafce skimmer attachment. I use an AC and the attachment keeps my water very clear. You can also attach these to some of the fluval canisters. Just some ideas.

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
I'm running an AC50 HOB filter now just for temporary help with mixing. Once the tank is stable I plan to keep it running for QT. As a matter of fact, though, I am getting a good amount of surface scum...blech!

I was thinking about a HOB overflow and a sump, but I've read those can be a pain and cause flooding issues...Do you think it's worth it for me to get one? I'm also considering getting a HOB skimmer as an alternative.

As for the current tank state: the sand completely settled over night (but then it clouded again when I brushed the excess off of the rock). Temp is 80F (so I turned down the heater), SG is 1.0225 (will test again to see if it's stable), and pH is 7.8....

Should I take any steps to raise the pH, or will it naturally rise as minerals from the sand leach into the water? Would it make sense to add a little bit of crushed coral to the sand?

Thanks!

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
I would defiantly go with a sump/fuge setup then you can get an insump skimmer, put your heater down there, evaporation will happen in the sump so the display stays up and you will top off and do all your dosing in the sump/fuge. I would also suggest getting a refractometer because most of the hydrometers I have seen have been off and I would let the tank run for a few days and then test everything again.

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
I'm interested in setting up a sump, but my tank isn't drilled so it would have to be a HOB overflow -- some folks have recommended strongly against that...Any opinions?

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
I have run a U tube HOB Overflow for 6 years without any problems just clean the U tube when you see it getting crap collecting in it. I might just be lucky be I dont have any problems.

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
Oh! That's very encouraging to hear!
I think my stand could actually fit a 29g sump, which I believe would tremendously help with stability and maintenance based on what I've read...

And yes, I am really starting to get pumped :thumbsup:

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
a sump will always help. 29 gal is a great sump size too.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I have battled back and forth with the idea of adding a sump via HOB overflow for a while now (much like I have toiled with the idea of adding a HOB skimmer). In my case, I have a 2 year old and I am afraid of him having access to a sump at his level. I also really enjoy how quiet my sumpless/skimmerless tank is. I realize that I have limitations with bioload but the two fish I have keep me happy. From my research, if I were to use an overflow box I would go with a 'lifereef' box. They seem to be bulletproof but I fear there is always a flood risk. Hard to dismiss the idea of larger water volume and a place to hide your equipment.

I would not worry about your pH or try and adjust it just yet. If it continues to be low by the time you are ready for livestock you can look into a buffer. pH is going to fluctuate over the course of a day and enerally coincide with your light and and photosynthesis cycles (another benefit of a refugium on an opposite light cycle from your display's cycle). Just keep and eye on it for now IMO.

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
oh...yes...I can see how [2 year old] + [ground-level-sump] = [:nilly:]

I'm going to spend some time looking at sump diagrams and see if I can find something that looks reasonably fail-safe -- will look at the lifereef you suggested.

Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store