L-183 starlight bristlenose pleco care?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Have you tried looking at the garden section of Lowes, Homedepot, or Walmart? Your area store might have it. I never found any here and had to buy online. I usually boiled the peat before adding it to a tank to get rid of the fertilizer and whatever else they added.

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
Yeah, I saw these peat balls that looked sweet, but they were eu 15 to ship 5 to the U.S... So I'll just go with regular peat lol. Also, figured out the trick with the bloodworms! I only feed a quarter of a zucchini slice, so I cut a slit down the middle of the zucchini, and stuff that with bloodworms. :)

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Yeah, I saw these peat balls that looked sweet, but they were eu 15 to ship 5 to the U.S... So I'll just go with regular peat lol. Also, figured out the trick with the bloodworms! I only feed a quarter of a zucchini slice, so I cut a slit down the middle of the zucchini, and stuff that with bloodworms. :)
Tacos... Lol

Also, feed algae wafers. As younglings, its an important part of a plecos diet. You might have said this before, but is there ant driftwood in the tank hes in? They need it to help digest.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Look for jiffy 7 peat pellets. It's the ones that are compressed and expand when you add water. I think I bought 25 of them for $5 shipped on EBay. Just boil the peat to make sure nothing is added then put it in a mesh cloth so no peat comes out.

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
Hmm, cool! There's DW in the big tank (s)he's going in, but I'm going out to buy some for the grow out tank this weekend. ((s)he's so small I'm growing the fish out in the ten to about 3 inches before I transfer... I'm afraid (s)he won't get the care (s)he needs in the 29 at this size) also, star was on the glass today... Since the last time I measured him/her, (last week) the dang fish has grown 2 mm lol...

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
Dropped in an algae wafer... And noticed star's tail is getting nipped! I bet it's the betta... I'm thinking about switching the betta over to the 29 until i get the 2nd filter... Then I'll probably move the little fish over or something... I'm nervous now... Any suggestions?

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
Hmm... Ok, I've got a new idea. I'm ordering a new filter and a new heater for the 29... What if i set up the new filter on a different 10 for now, (with lots of established media) and move the old heater from the 29 over, then put in either the Betta and cherry barb or the pleco. It'd be bare bottom, but if I did the plec id put the driftwood in along with some cave-like decorations. Do y'all think this or the other idea would work better?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store