Lighting question for 30 gallon Planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DJDrZ

AC Members
Jul 31, 2010
Collegeville, PA
I appreciate your feedback and the compliments. I'm trying to do it right the first time.

"Too much light" Why are there so many sites that post 1 watt/ gallon as low and 3-4 watt/gallon as high and recommend medium high light for plant growth? It's a pain to get that much wattage into 24" without spending a ton and using Marine equipment.
coach_z is so going to come down on your @ss for that one. WPG is a narco-syndicalist conspiracy meant to keep the plant keeping fish keepers down! :FIREdevil: It's a rule of thumb, not a law of physics.
Look on Craigslist. I got a unused GLA regulator set up for 180$ with accessories (320$ retail) and a friend had an unused CO2 cylinder froma kegerator...

sundragon

AC Members
Dec 8, 2010
Washington, DC
Haha!

coach_z is so going to come down on your @ss for that one. WPG is a narco-syndicalist conspiracy meant to keep the plant keeping fish keepers down! :FIREdevil: It's a rule of thumb, not a law of physics.
Look on Craigslist. I got a unused GLA regulator set up for 180$ with accessories (320$ retail) and a friend had an unused CO2 cylinder froma kegerator...
I got, I got it! :nilly:

WPG is for T-12 lights, T5 HO are about ~35% more efficient in light output so a 48W is closer to a 65W bulb... My tank surface area is closer to a 20 gallon tall (303 sq. in) which makes it more like a 2+ WPG using the old T-12 lighting rule.

The other fixture is $40 cheaper and comes with a single 65w CF tube, I just thought it would be worth investing in the brighter light since it was cheaper.

$180, Santa's gonna have to love me... I wish there was a $ medium between DIY reactor and the regulated tanks.

BTW, how do you guys hide your equipment. I have my tank in the living room and I'll get hell if it looks like a science experiement :irked:

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
I got, I got it! :nilly:

WPG is for T-12 lights, T5 HO are about ~35% more efficient in light output so a 48W is closer to a 65W bulb... My tank surface area is closer to a 20 gallon tall (303 sq. in) which makes it more like a 2+ WPG using the old T-12 lighting rule.

The other fixture is $40 cheaper and comes with a single 65w CF tube, I just thought it would be worth investing in the brighter light since it was cheaper.

$180, Santa's gonna have to love me... I wish there was a $ medium between DIY reactor and the regulated tanks.

BTW, how do you guys hide your equipment. I have my tank in the living room and I'll get hell if it looks like a science experiement :irked:
180 dollars is still pretty expensive. Right now i'm building a regulator and i believe it'll cost me less than 100 dollars (worth close to 400). If you look for the sales you can find them but you have to be patient. Again leftc has numerous threads all over the web about what parts to look for and how to assemble one. It's intimidating at first i totally understand that because i'm still intimidated by it. But overtime it's really rather simple. You also might want to check out dwarf baby tears if you are going to do pressurized co2. It can form an amazing looking carpet.

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean

All i can say is......lol

sundragon

AC Members
Dec 8, 2010
Washington, DC
180 dollars is still pretty expensive. Right now i'm building a regulator and i believe it'll cost me less than 100 dollars (worth close to 400). If you look for the sales you can find them but you have to be patient. Again leftc has numerous threads all over the web about what parts to look for and how to assemble one. It's intimidating at first i totally understand that because i'm still intimidated by it. But overtime it's really rather simple. You also might want to check out dwarf baby tears if you are going to do pressurized co2. It can form an amazing looking carpet.
It is intimidating. DIY reactor is a 4th grade science project, pressurized CO2 do it yourself sounds like an example in The Darwin Awards...

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store