Lighting???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
yeah maybe i shouldn't do nems, but how bout brain corals will they survive under the lighting i'm looking at? you guys are great. just joined this site and already I've learned more in 1 night than a few weeks at my LFS. thanx

Brains typically are placed on the sand. If you were to do that in your tank you'd need strong lighting to reach them as they tend to like moderate to high light. With that said I have strong light on my tank and I had to place my open brain up on the rocks so my goby wouldn't bury it. You could get away with that as well to place it closer to the lights but I'd still not go with low lighting. For that you'd want to stick with either non-photosynthetic species or low light ones such as polyps and mushrooms.

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York
I do like some mushroom corals. like the zoanthid and the hairy mushroom. The polyps are cool too. I thought that polyps were nems? guess not. any place i can go to see some polyps.

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York
So grins like to talk......ALOT...LOL.

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York
Grins is my Miyagi tonight. I'm the grasshopper.

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York
Last question and I'll leave you alone.....So if I went with atleast a 200watt pc light, would that be enough for some zoanthids and mushrooms, and what bout lunar light?????

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
It really depends on where you place them in the tank, PC just isn't going to make it the bottom in my opinion. That doesn't mean it will be dark, just that it won't be enough for photosynthetic creatures. If you go with a PC I'd place low and maybe some moderate (if you get more rock) light stuff at the top and only non photosynethic stuff below that. You'd have a bit more options if your tank was long versus tall...that 21" depth is playing a big factor here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store