Lighting???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Something to remember about PCs:

Inital buying cost for fixtures for the lights are pretty low. You could get a few hundred watts over your tank for (using the example someone posted on the first page) $170 for 260 watts.

Now, like Grins said, 50% of that light is really more for you than your fish. But still, lots of light on a little tank.

However, in 6 months, that fixture is going to need $100 worth of new bulbs. CF bulbs will shift frequency as they get old, and the light often times promotes algae growth rather than coral growth.

So, now if you figure initial buying cost of the fixture ($179), plus $100 for new bulbs in 6 months, and another 100 in another 6 months, which brings you through one full year, you've dumped a TON of money into the least recommended type of lighting for corals.

On the flip side, you can get a metal halide setup, or retrofit one of your own for no more than that $379 we already mentioned, and the bulb will last 9 months to a year and the replacement cost for that ONE bulb will be under $100 (easily under $100), you'll have the best lighting available for your coral, and you'll get the shimmer effect you don't get with any of the other types of lighting.

Food for thought, right? ;)

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York
OH...THAT IS SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT SUBLIMINAL. DIDN'T LOOK AT IT LIKE THAT. SO NOT ONLY BETTER LIGHT WITH MH, BUT COULD BE CHEAPER TO KEEP RUNNING OVER TIME. THANX NOW ALL I NEED TO DO IS FIND ONE THAT WILL FIT MY SHAPE TANK OR RETRO FIT ONE. THANKX

Devilish

AC Members
Jun 8, 2007
Northeast NJ
I know I should put this in the classified section, but if you are looking for a MH I have a 400w MH Avance ballast, DIY quick connect, reflector, and used bulb kicking around. I would be willing to part with it for $120 + shipping. PM me if interested.

Didn't mean to hijack thread.

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York
TOP OF TANK COMPLETELY CLOSED....NO FANS NO SUMP

animalman

Love My Clowns