Lionfish for a 75 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Btw my friend at school told me that the LFS had a volitan lion fish in.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Pretty sure carrying Volitans is a requirement to be considered a LFS... :laugh:

They are one of the more commonly seen fish in stores, so don't rush it.

I'm not sure on the mixing dwarf and regular lions. Maybe a small Volitan and a full grown dwarf. There may still be problems down the line though. The key is that they'll eat whatever they can. And saltwater fish-eaters can eat surprisingly large prey. For instance, I had a 1.5" frogfish once eat a 1.5" clownfish (and that was the end of the "We'll remove it when it gets big enough to threaten a tankmate" concept). Lions aren't as bad as frogs when it comes to mouth-size but they are up there.

AfishIonado

AC Members
Feb 26, 2012
Oklahoma
Volitan lionfish are beautiful creatures although I wanna say a 75 is too small. They get over a foot long but who knows he may be ok. I personally like the antenna lionfish I think they look awesome and still get big with smaller tank requirements

The russels lionfish is very aggressive towards other lionfish

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
The problem with having a big lion in a 75 is the limited number of fish you will be able to keep with it in that tank (and not get eaten). They are also messy eaters and if you're not gonna run a skimmer, you will be busy keeping the tank up.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I'd go with 2-3 Dwarfs, myself.

AfishIonado

AC Members
Feb 26, 2012
Oklahoma
The one thing you gotta think about is the eel and the lionfish are carnivorous. That usually means more tank care and cleanup. Also I know a lot of ppl can't get their lionfish to accept anything but live food, maybe frozen if ur lucky. That's a lot of ghost shrimp and at $2 a piece that's not gonna b a cheap fish

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
The one thing you gotta think about is the eel and the lionfish are carnivorous. That usually means more tank care and cleanup. Also I know a lot of ppl can't get their lionfish to accept anything but live food, maybe frozen if ur lucky. That's a lot of ghost shrimp and at $2 a piece that's not gonna b a cheap fish

Anyone who doesn't have a Volitan eating frozen within a month and flakes shortly thereafter isn't really trying.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store