Live Rock in 1.016???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
:shocked:

so where are the mono, gsp, damsel, and this wrasse?

and you shouldnt be adding hermits or any other living thing untill after the cycle.

a refractometer is a must IMHO, the swigarm are way too inaccurate. especially if you domnt calibrate them, and keep them uber clean.

do you have a test kit yet? yo need to know what amm. nitrites, nitrates, ph, alkalinity, calg mag etc. are before you add and critters!!!

the chemical cycle is very harsh on living things. you dont want to expose your lil homies to that stuff

you should really take the time to like read some of these suggested books and articles everyones throwin at ya.:read:
this way you can gain some practical understanding of why we are saying the things we are.

IMHO dude you're movin way too fast. youve gone from a brackish to salt water tank in like 8 days.

a saltwater fishtank is like a race car, the faster you go, the harder you're gonna crash

Last edited:

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
nice analogy, hehe, I took the GSP and the coris wrasse away. Now all I have is a damsel and a mono, and 2 blue legged hermits that I got for free. My ammonia was a bit over 0 but the rest was pretty good. I took back my swing army and got a bobber

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
????????????????:wall::wall::wall:

MAN. I FEEL BAD FOR YOUR FISH YO.

YOUR TANK IS NOT SPECIAL. YOU ARE NO SUPER GENIUS THAT IS EXEMPT FROM ALL COMMON PRACTICE.

IF YOU DONT WANT TO DO THIS CORRECTLY WHY ASK HOW TO AT ALL?

THERE IS OBVIOUSLY NO POINT IN TRYING TO HELP YOU.

ITS UNFORTUNATE FOR YOUR FISH, BUT HOPEFULLY YOU WILL BE ABLE TO LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES.

IM DONE.:lipssealedsmilie:

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
Yea, Bob I agree. It's mind boggling how people can use living things as little personal experiments that serve absolutely no purpose. Most people here want to provide a natural and healthy environment for our fish and the upside is our own enjoyment of that. There are some people who couldn't care about the animals and only want their own enjoyment. Something dies? oh well, they'll just go and buy something else to entertain them. Bah. Sorry, done with that rant. Still just a little disgusted by a certain news story.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
The point has been made now i feel, that when people ask for advice, its down to the individual to take note and use that advice and learn from it, as the advice given, is from peoples personal experience.

If a person is going to ask for advise and simply just discard it, then there is no point in asking..Yes, its ultimatly down to the individual whether they listen to the advice or not, but, in certain scenario's where advice is asked for and is simply ignored, then no more should be given on the perticular subject.

We all need advice at times in this hobby as we dont know all there is to know. Its impossible to be a know it all in a field such as marine fishkeeping.

So, lets heed what has been said in this thread and use it to your best advantage.

Can we leave out the personal comments now please..

Thanks..

Niko

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'll leave it at this. I hope you take the energy and money you've put into setting up this "unique" tank and spend it on researching the basics of keeping a SW hobby via the books that have already been mentioned, clubs, the articles and past posts on this site, and other valuable resources at one's fingertips if they only choose to make use of them.

oddsbotkins

AC Members
Oct 20, 2007
I keep it at 1.010-1.012 for a full reef, lots of corals, inverts and fish. Never any problems. When you hyposalinty oxygen levels increase absolutely no disease, everything eats very well. Never had anything die due to it. Acclimation times are much longer on the drip. Double the drip time, half the drip rate.
I know what people are saying, I'm nuts.....but **** it works. 25 years and counting.....

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Well... All I went through was a mini cycle. The highest my ammonia ever went was not even 1 ppm, about half. Also, I added in another 10 pounds of live rock and right now, my water params are as follows: amm: 0.2, nitrate: about 10, nitrite:0.1, ph: about 8.0. So far, everyone is doing fine and there is no sign of stress or so on and the two are eating well. I am sorry that they have gone through this cycle but first of all, I couldn't catch them and take them back and I tried for a while, and second of all, I found out that my LFS will not take in damsels usually because of their behavior.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store