Lost 5 fish, very upset.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
So, for the first time in a ver long time (at least a year) I have lost fish. They were in a 45gal tote that I was experimenting with (seeing how it held up to keeping fish). Unfurtunatly, the tote happened to be too close to a window contrustion that was occurring in the basement. Because of this, I have now lost 5 of my fish. 3 Long Fin Black skirts, 1 abino skirt, and my Highfin German Blue Ram (GBR). I am currently fast-acclimating the survivors to my 20gal long display tank, but I have no hope for the last remaining skirt. It isn't doing to well, lost much of it's fins ands will be alone in the tank until I get enough $$$ and guts to buy another school. The smaller GBR will probably survive, and the 3 mollies will do fine, so far they have shown no signs of caring about whatever killed off the Skirts. *Sigh* I haven't lost fish in a year, I was so sure everything was fine... gonna do some tests, see if the tote could have been toxic, but the dead fish were in there all weekend most likely, so it's probably too late...

The 20gal long will have a large bioload now. 3 female mollies (2-3in long), 1 black skirt(2in long), 1 pearl gourami(2-3in long), 4 bronze corys(1in long), and 1 GBR(1in long). Filter is a single Marineland Penguin Biowheel 350 (for 70gal tanks). Tank is planted, has driftwood, sand substrate, heated, with some nice rocks and a terra-cotta pot for the GBR.

Anyway, I won't be getting any unneeded fish for a while now.

A few quick questions:

1. Will this tank be overstocked as is?
2. How soon should I get the last tetra a new school?
3. What should I do with all the stuff from the tote?
4. What should I do with all the the equipment that was on the tote? (Marineland Penguin Biowheel 300, 250; heater; light; airpump)
5. Would I just rinse out the gravel or should I dump it entirly?
6. Should I replace the tote with a 40gal tank and try again?

Thanks, still sad about my lost fish, hoping to recover.

~Siv/Travis

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Sorry about the loss of your fish. The stocking is going to be on the heavy side, so I suggest frequent water changes, but I think they'll be fine. Keep in mind when you add all the fish to a 20 gallon you're going to have a cycle with the quick bioload increase. I would get the 40g tank and replace the black skirt tetras after you do that. If you aren't able to get a larger tank anytime soon, I'd rehome the black skirt after he's fully recovered. Hopefully you'll have no more losses.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Thanks for the advice, shaybablizard. I will try to get that 40gal ASAP, I have the filtration to handle such a tank, so it shouldn't be too expensive... how long (if you know) can the skirt go without a school?

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Thanks for the advice, shaybablizard. I will try to get that 40gal ASAP, I have the filtration to handle such a tank, so it shouldn't be too expensive... how long (if you know) can the skirt go without a school?
There's really no timeframe on going without a school, it's just that it will take a toll on a fish not having it's social requirements met. That could impact it's overall health and it's ability to integrate with others later if kept too long alone. More than anything, it's just about the fishes happiness. As fish keepers it's typically what we strive for. So my advice is just as soon as possible. I too wonder what went wrong with the tote. I try to buy containers that are food safe. I always figure if it's meant to hold food, it should be ok for fish, but I haven't left a fish in a tote more than a day or two.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
My condolences. It's always sad to lose fish.

Do you know what exactly happened in the tote? Did it get construction debris in it or something?
There was dust and plaster on the light, so I'm assuming so... the fish were fine until this weekend, and they were all healthy when I left on Friday...

There's really no timeframe on going without a school, it's just that it will take a toll on a fish not having it's social requirements met. That could impact it's overall health and it's ability to integrate with others later if kept too long alone. More than anything, it's just about the fishes happiness. As fish keepers it's typically what we strive for. So my advice is just as soon as possible. I too wonder what went wrong with the tote. I try to buy containers that are food safe. I always figure if it's meant to hold food, it should be ok for fish, but I haven't left a fish in a tote more than a day or two.
Okay thanks. Another question: will it be able to school with the mollies and the GBR, or is that not good enough?

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Okay thanks. Another question: will it be able to school with the mollies and the GBR, or is that not good enough?
No, they only school with their own kind. Occassionally two different kinds of tetras may school, like neons and glowlights, but he won't be able to school with the other kinds of fish you have. It's best to have him with others of his own kind when you're able to do so.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
There was dust and plaster on the light, so I'm assuming so...
Then to address your question about the equipment that was in the tote... I think it would be fine as long as you wash thoroughly. To be safe, I'd probably toss the filter media, but other than that a good scrub & rinse should be enough. Just my 2 cents, though---I'd defer to the opinions of the more experienced members here.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
No, they only school with their own kind. Occassionally two different kinds of tetras may school, like neons and glowlights, but he won't be able to school with the other kinds of fish you have. It's best to have him with others of his own kind when you're able to do so.
Okay, thanks again :) Never had to worry about a lonely tetra before, so this is a real learning experiance. I'll get that 40gal and some more tetras ASAP

Then to address your question about the equipment that was in the tote... I think it would be fine as long as you wash thoroughly. To be safe, I'd probably toss the filter media, but other than that a good scrub & rinse should be enough. Just my 2 cents, though---I'd defer to the opinions of the more experienced members here.
Okay, will do. Thanks.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap

IME, I used to have serpae tetras(a group of 5 when I was newbie), and then for some reason, all the serpaes except 1 died, and then since it wasn't able to school with my platys, and corys, I found it dead the next morning:(

I think they die because they are very stressed out without other fish in the tank(that are similar to them, and make them feel safe), and are scared because they can't school or anything, especially during feeding time, they school because 1 at a time, one fish darts up to get food, and comes back down.
Good Luck
sorry for your loss

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store