Louise's 1mx 600x 800 reef build + PICS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

louise01

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
Northside Brisbane
Real Name
Louise.... hard to guess right?
Sunday...

Close up

Distnace

Pleco.. not marine obviously but she's a beauty!

Brains.. left is new

Cleared some more...

Lighting drams.. left side brighter than right due to tank size vs light size

Two of my favs

Had this guy since Friday and this is the most he has opened up... :(

Love this thing!! 100% reef safe fantastic stock :)

Taken tonight
[/quote]

louise01

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
Northside Brisbane
Real Name
Sunday...

Close up

Distnace

Pleco.. not marine obviously but she's a beauty!

Brains.. left is new

Cleared some more...

Lighting drams.. left side brighter than right due to tank size vs light size

Two of my favs

Had this guy since Friday and this is the most he has opened up... :(

Love this thing!! 100% reef safe fantastic stock :)

Taken tonight
[/quote]

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
The blue linkia is not an easy star to keep. I hope the best but long term success with these even under the care of very experienced hobbiest is not very common.

Be careful with stocking too fast (especially adding more fish). Your tank is still very new and far from bulletproof.

Are those sun polyps on the lower right of the rockwork?

The coral you are concerned about not opening looks like a duncan but it may be an elegance. Do you know which? Both like a lower flow so if its getting blasted you may want to move it somewhere calmer. Some elegance are tricky to keep too.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
I thought i only needed light if i was planning on growing mscro (which im not)
The purpose of macros in a sump is to aid in the removal of nitrate and phosphate. If you want them you will need light for them to stay alive. Many people, however, don't use a sump/fuge so it isn't necessary to put macros in your sump if you don't want a light down there.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
IMO, I'd advise against the open top. Clowns are known for jumping! I'd run to home depot, get a big ol sheet of plexi, and plop that sucker up there.
Just curious, where did you hear that clowns are known for jumping? I have had my pair of clowns in an open top tank for many years and I have never seen them try and jump, nor have I heard of anyone else having a clown jump out of the tank. Clowns are not a jumping type fish.

Also, plexi is a terrible thing to use as a top, it blocks light and warps very easily, especially under MH lights. A proper top would be either a canopy or a plastic screen if one were to put a top on a tank but there are many that like the open top look.

OP: Very nice tank! :cheers:

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Man, I love that tank!!!

louise01

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
Northside Brisbane
Real Name
The blue linkia is not an easy star to keep. I hope the best but long term success with these even under the care of very experienced hobbiest is not very common.

Be careful with stocking too fast (especially adding more fish). Your tank is still very new and far from bulletproof.

Are those sun polyps on the lower right of the rockwork?

The coral you are concerned about not opening looks like a duncan but it may be an elegance. Do you know which? Both like a lower flow so if its getting blasted you may want to move it somewhere calmer. Some elegance are tricky to keep too.
It is an elegance which I will tuck in behind the rock a bit to see if that helps... Sun polyps have now been moved down near the bottom of the tank and sheltered in a 'cave'.

Stock wise I have sold my two damsels. I will only have a black occy and lawnmower blenny in there until i collect my yellow tang next week. Thinking about selling my blenny too as he is kicking up sand everywhere :(

I will be stocking my fish very slowly. After the yellow tang addition I will be getting another black occy in about 4-6weeks and 4 despar anthias another 4-6weeks after that.

louise01

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
Northside Brisbane
Real Name
The purpose of macros in a sump is to aid in the removal of nitrate and phosphate. If you want them you will need light for them to stay alive. Many people, however, don't use a sump/fuge so it isn't necessary to put macros in your sump if you don't want a light down there.
I will pop down to bunnings after work tonight and pick up a light. Can it be any old light or does it need to be a T8 or T5 for example?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store