makemyhobby.com

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
A while back (I've tried searching but can't find it on here) someone had mentioned they were considering buying something from makemyhobby.com

This interested me because I too had considered doing this. Problem is their shipping calculater seemed to be faulty- it was giving me the same price no matter whether I specified India (where the company is located) or the US. Surely international shipping is more expensive?

I e-mailed the company twice asking but never got a response.

If the person who was originally ordering from them is around- could you tell me what your experience turned out to be- or if anyone else has used them.

I'm a little bit suspicious after they failed to return my e-mails.

deadmongoose

AC Members
Jul 14, 2009
Kansas City, MO
I tried to order something to see if I could get a price on shipping. It says shipping price can't be determined at this time, but they still want me to pay for the items.

It does seem a little weird.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
I saw that thread too and decided to test them out. Placed an order and made payment. I received an email confirmation... then nothing. No response to inquiries. So weeks later, I opened a dispute with Paypal to get my money back. Still no response from this place, so I elevated that to a claim. Eventually, I got my money back. Needless to say, I definitely do not recommend them.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
OK thank you for your update everyone! I think I'll avoid them then!

I was leaning in that direction anyway when they failed to respond to my e-mails after so long.

ice111

Registered Member
Aug 5, 2009
Hi,

I have good experience with www.makemyhobby.com, I purchased pH tester and Atmel development board from them. I can say they take somewhat longer time for shipping but no such thing as scam.

I assume people with trouble here probably tried to purchase plants or fishes, which they don’t ship overseas. My friend’s order canceled of plants, and payment reversed on paypal. Later he noticed that caution notice is given for not shipping plants overseas on site.

I checked the shipping estimator also, it’s working fine. I checked for example US DHL $30.58 and UK DHL $28.99. Anyone can see this. No offense but I think jumping to negative conclusion without talking to company or visiting site is amateur enough.

~ Ice

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Thank you for the update... I'm glad you had success.

Personally, I did try contacting them- it's when they wouldn't return my contact e-mails that I began to get suspicious. That combined with the fact that other people on here have had bad experiences with them.

They probably arn't a scam if you received your merchendise and it appears that they did great for you- very good to hear... but from what's been said they seem like they can be a bit clueless on some orders.

Maybe they've fixed their shipping calculator now. It certainly wasn't working when I made my original post on here- nor when I had checked a month earlier... so it wasn't working for at least a month- which doesn't look good for the company.

Last edited:

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
This thread is the 12th match on yahoo search, the 11th is another forum with a post from a guy named "Ice" advertising the site.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Interesting catch Zaffy... This was his very first post on this board although he now has two.

His time zone is interesting too... he's unlikely to be in the US- so maybe from India? When he posted it was early afternoon there.

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
I personally think this may be a scam site, or at the very least extremely unorganized and unable to keep up - Zaffy - good catch. I suspect that "Ice" is monitoring the search engines to see if the "make my hobby site" comes up and then when it does show up he intervenes. It's interesting that his second post had nothing to do with fish - just a general question about plant fertilizer... I'd steer clear personally, especially since you're having trouble getting any response to your inquiries.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store