Making water changes a bit more friendly!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

injunear

AC Members
Mar 10, 2008
Well, admittedly I'm a noob so on the advice of everyone in this forum I purchased a Python to do water changes/vacuuming......

I quickly realized that this method was, and is, quite inefficient as when you're emptying a tank of say 30+ gallons, and one where the level of the tank might be below the faucet, it takes forever using the Python "pump", not to mention all the fresh water going down the drain as waste water.

Not good if you have a well pump as this can take up to an hour depending on the size of the tank and how much water you're removing.

So to make a long story short, I said to myself there's got to be a better way.
I bought a fresh water utility pump from Harbor Freight for $30 on sale and had a coupon for 15% off on top of that!
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=9576

I used the Python "pump" as a diverter when vacuuming and pumping to direct water into the sink.
The pump is 12V so I used my automotive Jump Start for a power supply.

I fill the tank in the normal way via the faucet.....BTW, I allow the Python "pump" to leak out the bottom a bit when filling so I can feel the water temperature.

p4250019.JPG P4250021.JPG p4250020.JPG p4250023.JPG P4250025.JPG P4250026.JPG

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I have been using the python for over 30 yrs. Never use the faucet venturi. I just drain to the outside or nearest bath tub. Much less complicated.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Yeah I drain down a basement footing drain so I just use the syphon, never had to use the venturi thing to get a good draw, but that works if you don't have that option.

injunear

AC Members
Mar 10, 2008
The closest place for me to fill/drain is the kitchen sink. I no longer live in a house with a well pump but I can tell you that the Python system would absolutely stress the h_ell out of the well pump.

I remember that when I used my sprinklers in the summer, the storage tank would deplete to the point that the well pump would run continuously and as result get so hot you couldn't touch it!

Well pumps aren't made to run continuous. They're made for intermittant operation......

Anyway, this setup gives you a good flow of water and makes vacuuming easy, not to mention the incredible waste of fresh water is elliminated....

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
just drain the water out the nearest window..no pump needed.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I just use the venturi to get the flow started and once all the air bubbles are out of the way I turn the water off.It still drains just as well though I doubt it would gravel vac very well this way.

injunear

AC Members
Mar 10, 2008
just drain the water out the nearest window..no pump needed.

Lol...I can tell you've never lived in a managed community! I live in a town home and the nearest window would drain the water directly atop the common path that my neighbors use and I live in Chicagoland. Do I need to say more?

Besides, what's the point? I have to fill from the kitchen sink anyway and it's just 30 bucks to do it all at the sink<shrug>.......Why move from window to sink?
I just have to setup once........

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Well, I have lived in a managed community....I am sure not all your windows and bath tubs are over common walkways. I do it not to waste water and I get a better draw for the vac. Whatever works for you.

Your set up is quite complex for no reason...a simple power head would suffice.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
:popcorn:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store