Making water changes a bit more friendly!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

injunear

AC Members
Mar 10, 2008

Popcorn is the right smiley as rbishop deleted my post.

We'll let the perusers of this thread evaluate the complexity of this setup what rbishop says is "complex".

Frankly, running hoses 50 ft. into the bathroom to the tub, or sticking a hose out the window in sub zero weather is to me the epitomy of, er "complex".

Attaching a hose to a simple 12 v pump is certainly more advantageous.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Well, you should have alot more suction power.........:)

injunear

AC Members
Mar 10, 2008
Actually the flow rate is just right. Just enough to give nice suction for vacuuming but not too much for emptying the tank whereby you'd be hurried to get the vacuuming done.

Sticking a hose out a window is certain to get the attention of the "condo nazi's" and isn't a viable alternative for me, besides, I really can't see taking off the window screen in the middle of winter and sucking on a hose and shoving it outside as something that I would want to do when I can do the emptying, and filling in one place, right at the sink........

Screwing a hose to the pump inlet and hooking up to 12volts seems a bit easier to me.

To each his own.........

injunear

AC Members
Mar 10, 2008
btw, a better option to that hooking up to 12 volts, find an adapter that supply 12v with enough current, they exist, The pump should show how much current it needs, either in miliamp (mA) or amps. (A)
Thanks, but this pump is in AMPS and the startup current (lock rotor) is a few amps. It's beyond almost all wall power supply transformers.

It's best to use either a Jump Start if you already have one, or you can get a Gell Cell 12 battery for around $15 and a charger for that for around $5 bucks.

Or any 12 volt source, lawn battery, etc.

I'm an electrical engineer and I use the Jump Start because it's available and simply easier. It's not worth building a supply for just this. If you buy a Jump Start (I got mine at SAMS CLUB) then you get a 2-fer...........

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
i made my own python, but i hate to wait 30 min for my sink to fill my tank up, so i made an adapter that conects to my tube, and a ruber copler that conects to the tube flacet, in it fills in ten min

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I have to say, I just put mine out the window too, I get the suction from filling the suction part with water and forcing it through enough for the tube to start automatically pulling the water out. Not being in a "managed community", I would say a pump isn't really needed. Being in one though, I guess I can see the reasons not to put the tube out the window... windows, walkways, whatever... it really looks like more of a pain to deal with rather than going from window to sink, really though...

injunear

AC Members
Mar 10, 2008
I have to say, I just put mine out the window too, I get the suction from filling the suction part with water and forcing it through enough for the tube to start automatically pulling the water out. Not being in a "managed community", I would say a pump isn't really needed. Being in one though, I guess I can see the reasons not to put the tube out the window... windows, walkways, whatever... it really looks like more of a pain to deal with rather than going from window to sink, really though...

Trust me, taking out the screen from the window is far more trouble than hooking up a simple pump. We use pumps for everything else in this hobby but for whatever reason there's resistance to this.....

Very curious, but whatever works for you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store