min tank size for 3 fancy goldfish??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
i agree with icecube, but make sure you overfilter (at least 3x the filtration for your tank) and use quality food, like pro-gold by hikari.

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
Thanks for the help guys. I am going to try to get to the pet store ASAP. If the price between the 55 and 75 is too big I will deff. get 75. If I get the 55 should I get a filter for the 75. I have 1 snail, dont know if that changes anything.

Can anyone tell me if these are the type of fish I have and if they are developing right?

I think I have 2 Calico Ryukins and 1 Black Moor. After looking at the pictures of these fish grown, I fear that they are not developing right.

Mine..click to see them bigger

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
A standard 55 gallons tank is 48wideX12deepx18tall

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
your three fancies had such sort lifespans because they were cramped in a small 25G. they usually live up to 10 years, many even more. having two filters is no good if your only going to do a 20% water change every two weeks, which is inadequate maintenance, especially for big waste producing fish such as goldies.

i would have filtration that is 10 times the size of the aquarium. for instance if you decide to house your fancies in a 55G, it would be best to have 550GPH or more of filtration. that coupled with weekly water changes and your fish should be fine.

i agree, food is also important. goldies are prone to swim bladder problems because of the amount of air they ingest at the surface while feeding on floating flakes or pellets. sinking high quality wafers or pellets are best.

phaedraeos

AC Members
Nov 30, 2006
Boston, MA
With my *limited* goldfish experience, I'd agree that you have 2 ryukins and 1 black moor. As for them not developing right, I assume you're referring to your fishs' girths being much smaller than the ones in the picture? I have had a few fancy goldfish, and mine only got really "fat" once they had attained 3 or 4 inches. When they were young and small, they looked a lot like yours.

For three full-sized fish, I'd agree with a minimum of 50 gallons, and a filter rate of at least 500 gallons/hour, preferably more (either through one filter or by combining filters). I have a 6" red cap oranda and 2 smaller goldfish in a 50g, (along with a bunch of other small fish), and I keep the parameters ok by filtering at about 625g/hr (an emporer 400 and an enheim ecco 2236 canister), and doing a 30% water change weekly.

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
I'd go for a 75G myself, i think its a good size. Often on sale for only slightly more than a 55 and you get a wider tank. I think a 55 is just a tad skinny for goldfish, though it would probably 'ok'. I got my 75g new for $99. If your looking for buying a whole setup cheap I would look on craigslist for used stuff in your local area.

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
With my *limited* goldfish experience, I'd agree that you have 2 ryukins and 1 black moor. As for them not developing right, I assume you're referring to your fishs' girths being much smaller than the ones in the picture? I have had a few fancy goldfish, and mine only got really "fat" once they had attained 3 or 4 inches. When they were young and small, they looked a lot like yours.

For three full-sized fish, I'd agree with a minimum of 50 gallons, and a filter rate of at least 500 gallons/hour, preferably more (either through one filter or by combining filters). I have a 6" red cap oranda and 2 smaller goldfish in a 50g, (along with a bunch of other small fish), and I keep the parameters ok by filtering at about 625g/hr (an emporer 400 and an enheim ecco 2236 canister), and doing a 30% water change weekly.

Thanks I was talking about their belly shape.. They are all under 3-4 inc, so I am asuming the are okay.

They are at least getting a 55. I have been counting the coins from one of those big soada bottle banks and I have $320 so far. I know for a 55 It was 200 and something for tank and stand.

phaedraeos

AC Members
Nov 30, 2006
Boston, MA
don't forget to look at used tanks. we just got a 75g with fluval, 2 heaters, 2 extra filters, decoration, hood, lights, nets, food, etc for 350. used tanks are usually significantly cheaper for the exact same quality, and many times they come with extras.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store