min tank size for 3 fancy goldfish??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishisme

I offer all kinds of free services
Oct 23, 2005
sk-canada
I would get a 55 gal, Its the most common biger tank.

InR reason

InR reason
May 28, 2006
www.myspace.com
a 55G tank will be able to hold your 3 goldfish OK, but you will need to over filter, and a 75G would be the best way to go if you want to give them the best life possible. the only difference between and 75G and a 90G is height.

OT:I think it would be wiser to move your goldfish into your empty cube tank, kjofan. a 30G is really too small for 2 fancy goldfish.
I don't know how many oceanariums you have but 30g is fine for two fancies. I have two in a 29- it's over filtered and I change the water 50% weekly. They are healthy, happy, and beautiful.

Goldfish should have at least 15-20g per fish. I've heard the 30g per fish before and I laugh at it.. if one is careful about filtration and wc then the goldfish will be fine.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I haven't read through this entire thread here but I have read some and I agree with InR, a 30 gallon will be fine for 2, I had 2 in a 30 and like InR, it was over filtered and took 50% water changes every 5 or 6 days. You must be diligent with these changes though because with a 30 gallon, the margin for error is smaller. With a bigger tank, you have more foom for your parameters to act up or to go a day or 2 over the maintence schedule.

virginia.lane

metallic blue short fin HM
I know usually the 1 inch per gallon or 1 inch per 2 gallon rule is followed usually, but goldfish can get up to two feet long so technically 24 inches times 3 is 76 and the double gallon rule would be 152 gallons for your three fish, which is a bit extreme considering the weight on the floor and the fact that most indoor goldfish generally don't exceed the 12 inch mark, but I usually house one goldfish per 20 gallons so I'd figure 55 is good for 3 goldfish... Fancy goldfish usually swim slower than normal common goldfish and certainly less than comets, and they also don't generally reach past the 8 inch mark so technically you could be safe with three fans in a 30 gallon... So I'd say for three fancies 30 gallons at least to start and go from there. As to what type of fish you have, you have a chocolate telescope moor and two calico fantails, which both appear to have nacreous scales-when the scales aren't all metallic or "shiny". The calico with the black eyes is definitely a male, the other two appear to be females.. Bit hard to tell in your photos. Males have longer more pointed tails whereas females are more rounded and short. Only tricky thing is looking at male common goldfish versus female commets, or male fans versus female veils-the tails look very similar in juveniles. Hope that helps..

pzuzu

AC Members
Sep 23, 2005
Don't forget goldfish should have a diet consisting of mostly vegetable matter. Too much protein in their diet can lead to even more problems down the line. Unfortunately, goldfish usually eat whatever they can put in their mouths so it's kinda up to us to make sure they eat what they're supposed to. I actually buy quality goldfish flakes and spirulina algae flakes and then make my own mix of 50/50. I would also recommend letting the flakes soak for a minute or two so it sinks instantly and they don't digest too much air...as someone posted earlier that too much air can lead to bladder disease. Not fun. Also, goldfish love frozen peas.

I actually have kept 2 fancy goldfish in a 46g tank with two filters, a marineland biowheel and an aquaclear. I also change 50% of the water every week. You might also want to try some live plants, as they will eat the nitrate abundance you'll have in a smaller tank. I know goldfish eat plants like crazy, but the trick is to get thick plants such as anubias. Pretty much any of the larger anubias and swords will do the trick. I know my goldfish love to eat the swords anyway, but I bought the biggest swords I could find and usually they replace their leaves fairly quickly. The nice thing about these two types of plants is that they require very little light. Some might disagree about the swords, but they grow for me just fine in a little over 1w/g of light. Stay away from anacharis, they'll be gone in less than a week. Also, jungle vals are pretty good, especially established ones, but they'll require a little extra light.

In my opinion you can keep 3 fancies in as little as 40g. They might be a little cramped, but they will grow fine. It just means YOU have to be very disciplined about your care. With good filtration, perhaps some ammonia chips as filter media, weekly 50% water changes, high quality food consisting mainly of vegetable matter, and some live plants I think you'll have a lot of success.

Also, when doing water changes, try to keep the currents away from them as sudden currents and added pressure can also affect their gall bladders. Sensitive little guys, I know. Slow and easy when you're filling back up, especially since you'll be doing it more often than necessary for a larger tank.

I once went into someone's house and they had a 10g tank with 2 goldfish!!! I tried to somehow let them know they're making them suffer without sounding pretentious. They told me those same two fish have been in there for 16 years! I was amazed. I asked how often they cleaned the water, they said twice a week.

Larger tank, less maintenance...smaller tank, more work.

Simple as that... and of course giving them plenty of swimming room also helps. Cuz regardless, I still believe that must have been 16 years of hell for those fish all cramped in a 10g. :(

Sorry for the ramble...

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
I know usually the 1 inch per gallon or 1 inch per 2 gallon rule is followed usually, but goldfish can get up to two feet long so technically 24 inches times 3 is 76 and the double gallon rule would be 152 gallons for your three fish, which is a bit extreme considering the weight on the floor and the fact that most indoor goldfish generally don't exceed the 12 inch mark, but I usually house one goldfish per 20 gallons so I'd figure 55 is good for 3 goldfish... Fancy goldfish usually swim slower than normal common goldfish and certainly less than comets, and they also don't generally reach past the 8 inch mark so technically you could be safe with three fans in a 30 gallon... So I'd say for three fancies 30 gallons at least to start and go from there. As to what type of fish you have, you have a chocolate telescope moor and two calico fantails, which both appear to have nacreous scales-when the scales aren't all metallic or "shiny". The calico with the black eyes is definitely a male, the other two appear to be females.. Bit hard to tell in your photos. Males have longer more pointed tails whereas females are more rounded and short. Only tricky thing is looking at male common goldfish versus female commets, or male fans versus female veils-the tails look very similar in juveniles. Hope that helps..

The got a 55g. I think the moor is black..I googled the choclate ones. He is mostly all of a dark black. He looks silvery sometimes. I think he is a male. He trys to get the other 2 to lay eggs alot. Wich calico do you think is the male? I think they both have 1 black eye. Heres pics with their names.

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
Don't forget goldfish should have a diet consisting of mostly vegetable matter. Too much protein in their diet can lead to even more problems down the line. Unfortunately, goldfish usually eat whatever they can put in their mouths so it's kinda up to us to make sure they eat what they're supposed to. I actually buy quality goldfish flakes and spirulina algae flakes and then make my own mix of 50/50. I would also recommend letting the flakes soak for a minute or two so it sinks instantly and they don't digest too much air...as someone posted earlier that too much air can lead to bladder disease. Not fun. Also, goldfish love frozen peas.

I actually have kept 2 fancy goldfish in a 46g tank with two filters, a marineland biowheel and an aquaclear. I also change 50% of the water every week. You might also want to try some live plants, as they will eat the nitrate abundance you'll have in a smaller tank. I know goldfish eat plants like crazy, but the trick is to get thick plants such as anubias. Pretty much any of the larger anubias and swords will do the trick. I know my goldfish love to eat the swords anyway, but I bought the biggest swords I could find and usually they replace their leaves fairly quickly. The nice thing about these two types of plants is that they require very little light. Some might disagree about the swords, but they grow for me just fine in a little over 1w/g of light. Stay away from anacharis, they'll be gone in less than a week. Also, jungle vals are pretty good, especially established ones, but they'll require a little extra light.

In my opinion you can keep 3 fancies in as little as 40g. They might be a little cramped, but they will grow fine. It just means YOU have to be very disciplined about your care. With good filtration, perhaps some ammonia chips as filter media, weekly 50% water changes, high quality food consisting mainly of vegetable matter, and some live plants I think you'll have a lot of success.

Also, when doing water changes, try to keep the currents away from them as sudden currents and added pressure can also affect their gall bladders. Sensitive little guys, I know. Slow and easy when you're filling back up, especially since you'll be doing it more often than necessary for a larger tank.

I once went into someone's house and they had a 10g tank with 2 goldfish!!! I tried to somehow let them know they're making them suffer without sounding pretentious. They told me those same two fish have been in there for 16 years! I was amazed. I asked how often they cleaned the water, they said twice a week.

Larger tank, less maintenance...smaller tank, more work.

Simple as that... and of course giving them plenty of swimming room also helps. Cuz regardless, I still believe that must have been 16 years of hell for those fish all cramped in a 10g. :(

Sorry for the ramble...

Thank you for the ramble. :D I have orderd them some new food. Im a vegatarian so giving them veggies wont be a prob for me. The two calicos like peas. The moore is afraid of them :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BrkD

Unregistered User
Nov 12, 2006
Brooklyn, N.Y
Agree w/ KJOFAN.

I kept 3 Fancy goldfish in a 25 gallon tank w/ no issues. 2 lived for 2.5 years and third for 1 year..... The caveat is that I had to 2 Aquaclear filters, and did a 20% water change every 2 weeks.

REg
Fancy goldfish are capable of living much much longer than that. I'd put them in a minimum of 50 gallons with ALOT of bio-filtration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store