Moray Eel sick again :*( PLEASE HELP!!! Weird algae growing too!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zachjohnson65

AC Members
Mar 31, 2007
Staunton, VA
Good advice has been given so far but have you checked the Brackish forum stickies on this site, do some research in the brackish forum they will have your salinity question answered. Good luck

aquariumdude

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
i've asked like 3 times and no one responds...freshwater forums have 10x more post. Anyways i'm kinda lost with the whole op/ri or whatever you were saying last. Could you spell it out for me PRETTY PLEASE!! I will do whatever is needed! No one else seems to know this much information about eels...

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
The need to change salinity slowly in this particular instance is being vastly overblown. Consider the tidal zones where brackish organisms are found. The salinity will rise and fall several points four times a day. This is not a reef aquarium where stability is one of the keys to success. That said all SW organisms will tolerate a rapid drop much better than they tolerate a rapid rise in salinity. By rapid I mean more than .001 per hour. I think nothing about moving a fish from 1.023 to 1.021 without any more acclimation than they get in the net as I'm walking. The reverse calls for at least a perfunctory mixing of the original water with the new depending on the sensitivity of the particular organism. Morays are about as sensitive as a drunken redneck! If you raise the salinity from 1.010 to 1.025 over the course of a 6 hours or so a healthy Whitecheek would thank you if it spoke English. At this point the Eel in question is hardly healthy, so the .001 per hour would be more prudent. As far as what brand of marine salt it's not much of an issue. Personally I would use either Instant Ocean or Crystal Sea, because they're cheap and have good alkalinity. They're both deficient in Ca+ but that's not an issue here.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
my understanding tho moving from higher to lower is easier for the inhabitants to acclimate to.

also in brackish tidal zones you have the influence of fresh water mixing with salt while the change can seem high in reality the fish can escape to areas that are less influenced by incoming tides.
in essence the inhabitants move with the tide.

in my neck of the woods on 2 times daily (approx every 10-12 hrs)

I agree the eel would benefit by adjusting the Sg as quickly as possible(safe)

(IMHO)

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Like I said they tolerate rapid drops better than rapid rises. I guess the number of times that the salinity changes depends on how you look at it. There are two high tides daily during which salinity rises and two low tides during which it drops. I was considering rise and fall from slack tide.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
this may be a newb question but what is Lr?

aquariumdude

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
UPDATE:

No3 80
No2 3
PH 7.5
KH 240
GH 180

So it seems my nitrates/nitrites are WAY off. Weird b/c I did a water change less than a wk ago. But yet I had alot of rosie reds die so maybe this would be the cause? I know if you leave food/dead fish it can change those levels pretty rapidly if I'm correct? Maybe a couple of fish were hidden under a few rocks, I dunno...that's my reading you tell me what to do!! I have the salt at 1.010 right now and will continue to raise the levels once a wk to 1.020 and will look for a marine salt or something like that. I have just a regular filter on the 39 gallon currently nothing special but no wetdry/skimmer or anything like that. Do you HAVE to have those to keep the eel heathly? Maybe I didn't know what I was getting involved in....**** petshops! I even did research but it didnt seem this hard...everyone seems to have way different opinions than each other. Anyone actually OWN a eel that survived? What did you do? PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks soooooo much for taking the time into reading this and lving your suggestions. I really appreciate it!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store