Moray Eel sick again :*( PLEASE HELP!!! Weird algae growing too!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Weather Loach

Eating all the Snails in your tank!
Sep 1, 2009
California
Aww
They are really neat fish :(

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Like I said they tolerate rapid drops better than rapid rises. I guess the number of times that the salinity changes depends on how you look at it. There are two high tides daily during which salinity rises and two low tides during which it drops. I was considering rise and fall from slack tide.
actually the salinity does not change much..the water level changes but the influence remains the same..it is just at different levels on the shore is where the dramatic change occurs.
the fish can remain in the same confluence.. proximity of the mouth of the river ..they simply ride up or down with the tide.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
Like I said they tolerate rapid drops better than rapid rises. I guess the number of times that the salinity changes depends on how you look at it. There are two high tides daily during which salinity rises and two low tides during which it drops. I was considering rise and fall from slack tide.
actually, the converse is true. a high tide will cause the salinity to drop in a tidal area, because "fresh" water (as in new) will be ushered in and the salinity of the tidal area will balance out with that of the larger volume of water around it. during low tides, the salinity will rise because as the day goes on, water evaporates which in turn causes the salt in the water to become more concentrated.

both are part of a slow process though. the tide does not just fly in most places, but is more gradual. at the same time, half of the water in a tidal pool will not evaporate instantly, so the rise in salinity is gradual as well.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I wasn't referring to tide pools, but to tidal estuaries.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store